Home Forum Ask A Member How does it come apart?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    tom-c
    Participant

I’m trying to disassemble a parts motor for a part i need. I don’t want to break anything and it’s pretty badly corroded. A parts breakdown would help me but maybe someone can tell me from the picture here. I need part "A" for another motor. This is a Johnson J motor (predecessor to the J-25). Does "B" come off the top or is is soldered to the downtube?

Attachments:

The Boat House
      Participant

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by The Boat House.
        • This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by The Boat House.
        tom-c
        Participant

Oh, I didn’t see the pins, they were covered with grease. So I guess i have to drill the pins out? I would have to do that on both motors to get the good one back together. Maybe I could use screws to put it back together? Or maybe some new brass pins and peened over?

Tom
          Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Tom, Do what Tubs said… Remove the lower unit and anti-cav plate. Then remove the nuts on the two water tube ends. Push the tube ends into the leg and slide it up out of the transom mount. You may have to put wedges in the transom mount so it doesn’t scratch the leg.

Tom

The Boat House
            Participant

Tom
              Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Tom,

For clarity, I assume you’re trying to save the transom bracket and the collar that supports the down tube (leg) from one motor, and use the leg from another motor. If that’s not correct, ignore anything I’ve written.

So to remove the leg assembly (B) from the transom bracket and collar (A), you need to slide it up out of the collar. The simple way to do that is to remove the foot, then get the water tube inlet and outlet out of the way. These are not attached at the location where they penetrate the leg. So you can remove the nuts on the outside of the leg, and press them into the leg so they don’t protrude out. Then slide the leg up out of the collar.

Tom

The Boat House
                Participant

tom-c
                  Participant

Thanks guys. Looks like I will remove the foot. The parts motor is badly corroded and I will surely break a few things. The screws on the cav plate will not budge. I may have to cut the down tube. The J motor runs great, just that broken "A" needs to be replaced.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.