Home Forum Ask A Member How long was a standard fuel line on a pressure tank?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    billw
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I bought a new roll of dual-hose fuel line for my OMC 4 gallon tank, and eventually, my other tanks. It occurs to me that I don’t know how long they are supposed to be. Was there a standard length? Did it depend on the size of the tank? The horse power of the engine? Were they all the same? I intend to use this tank with my ’56, 7 1/2 Evinrude.

Long live American manufacturing!

Mumbles
      Participant

Six feet for the bigger motors was quite common as the tanks were usually placed next to the transom. Myself, I put at least twelve feet of hose on a tank so I can put the tank towards the bow. This works great for weight distribution when I’m by myself in my 14′ tin boat. Since a roll is 50′ long, I can do four tanks with one roll.

wrenchero
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

the ones i’ve removed from old tanks was 6ft. where did you get the hose?

mn

billw
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I got the Sierra number from one of these threads, then ordered a 50′ box, through work. (I work at a boat yard.) My cost was $114, with tax, if I recall. Still a little pricey but it beats going up in flames; and for me, it’s a lifetime supply. Plus, it is just my nature to have things in stock. When I die, people are going to go through my stuff and say, “holy CRAP!”

Thanks, guys, for your answers. It looks like six feet is it, for OEM. Like Mumbles, I like to run with my tank forward of the center seat, so it looks like I will make a custom size that suits me. I was hoping that somebody would say eight feet, because I have seen that a few times and it seemed long but good.

Long live American manufacturing!

David Bartlett
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

When I did mine, I made most of them 10′ so I could do 5 tanks from one roll. I had another roll and made a few 12′ lengths so I could do as Mumble’s said and move it way up front if needed.

David Bartlett
              Pine Tree Boating Club Chapter

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"

aquasonic
              Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Most of the original four gallon tanks had six feet, and the original six gallon tanks had twelve feet. I say most because I have a 1958 Evinrude Cruis-A-Day four gallon tank that is NOS, and came with eight feet.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.