Home Forum Ask A Member How should I protect the bottom of a metal fuel tank?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    outboardnut
    Participant

US Member

Well I found a great 3 gal fuel tank
      How to you guys protect the bottom. Split a hose and glue?
      DSCN3199<br />why fallout new vegas is better than 3<br />

frankr
      Participant

US Member

I set mine on a piece of indoor-outdoor carpet. Not so much to protect the tank, but to keep it from rubbing around on the aluminum boat bottom.

Anonymous

Ebay listing #360811548121 for metal fuel tanks. Very nice price.

bob-d
          Participant

US Member

I use the thick foam pads that you kneel on when gardening. They are about 1 1/2″ thick . Helps absorb noise as well when you hit waves.
            Bob D

h20lew
            Participant

US Member

I was researching this topic last night… great minds think alike. I have some existing tanks that have white trim and I’d like to match that.

I haven’t confirmed the dimensions yet but I did find this on amazon:
              https://www.amazon.com/White-small-0-375-height-0-093/dp/B00KI2CCSS

There are other similar items. “Edge trim” or “edge guard” is the item to be searching for. If anyone has a specific recommendation for trim in white – please post.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by h20lew.
              labrador-guy
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I use old floor mats from a car. I also never let tank set on the ground very long. All my cans are stored inside on a raised platform and covered with an old rug. Condensation from weather change will mess your gas can up inside real quick.

dale

lloyd
                Participant

US Member

I use a split rubber hose. No need to use glue.

amuller
                  Participant

Boat places used to sell the white edge trim stuff for putting around tank bottom seams. I have used it but think it may trap water and contribute to deterioration of the tank.

olcah
                    Participant

US Member

I use a rubber door mat about 1/2″ thick found at local discount store. Same approach as F.Robb. Works well to protect the boat and the tank. Simple and good.

outbdnut2
                      Participant

US Member

I have used use small rubber-backed rugs with a low pile so easy to keep clean. These are often advertised as rugs that will not slip on a smooth floor. I cut them down to a couple inches larger than the tank on all sides.
                        Dave

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.