Home Forum Ask A Member How to remove choke lever so I can remove this carb.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    seahuntboater
    Participant

Greetings. Just got a pretty clean 1954 West Bend (Elgin) 7.5. Model 571.58771 Serial 771.1772.

I have all the carb stuff free from the housing except the choke lever. Thought I would ask for advice here before messing something up. Does it unscrew somehow Thanks. Here is a link to picture.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1546BwCjTB2cBOn_a7d_bBezQVf8ckK9T

Also I was able to get spark on second cylinder by taking apart the point pivot clip and washers on one set of points, cleaning and lightly oiling. It was stuck. Coils covers are cracked. Is epoxy the best way to seal up again? Spark is good and blue.

amuller
      Participant

Not sure but I think the choke lever comes off the choke shaft with a setscrew or similar.

Do you have the style of magneto with sliding pieces? My experience with these is that they need a light oil. Grease can harden and gum them up so then don’t track the cam.

Cracked coils really should be replaced. Yes, you can coat them but the results are unreliable. Assuming you have the 7/16″ core coils, OMC coils can be put on the Wick laminations. Usually the lams are riveted to the stator plate and you don’t want to disturb their positions.

seahuntboater
        Participant

Thanks. I figured out the choke lever. There is a bottom housing with four screws. Removing that makes everything easy to take off.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.