How to synch ignition timing with throttle control

Home Forum Ask A Member How to synch ignition timing with throttle control

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Carlasdaddy

Replies: 25
    Topics: 13

I have recently acquired a 1956 model 10012 Sportwin 10hp Evinrude. When the twist-grip throttle control is in the stop position, the link and stop assembly does not line up with the armature plate control lever. Could somebody please tell me how to fix the problem. I have attached photos of the problem.

motor-pix-1

motor-pix-2

motor-pix-3

• This topic was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by Mumbles.

frankr

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

Simple. There is no problem and nothing needs fixing. The wording on that slow-start-fast plate never are accurate. Better to think of it as Fast is this-away and slow is that-away and turn it slower till it stalls is Stop.

Carlasdaddy

If that is the case, then the throttle position band on the the twist-grip arm must be incorrectly positioned. I am under the impression that this band only goes in one position in order to correctly install the rubber handle.

seakaye12

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 1117
    Topics: 108

I agree with frankr; if it was my motor I would not worry about it. However you might look at the throttle control gears at the base of the vertical armature control shaft…..that gear meshes with the other gear at the inner end of the twist-grip shaft. Maybe they have jumped a tooth or three? You might be able to make things better.

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4737
    Topics: 46

Yes, those pointers and bands are notoriously inaccurate, especially if they have been replaced….Not all these pieces are the same. Like everyone says, the gears between the tiller and steering handle “may be” misaligned…Same thing applies to the veritcal shaft/steering handle gears. Some of the 56 models had the more flimsy stamped gears between the tiller and steering handle, they are replaced with the newer style cast gear pieces…No need to replace them unless they are worn/misaligned.
    But again, if everything is aligned properly, I wouldn’t worry about it, like Frank says….True, that vertical shaft is seems to want to retard the mag plate past its fully retarded position, but that is nothing to worry about, unless there is some other reason that the mag plate won’t retard fully, like jammed wires, links, etc…

Carlasdaddy

That was the problem. Thanks.

JOHN HOLBIK

Replies: 162
    Topics: 2

What was the problem and what was the cure?

Carlasdaddy

It had jumped a tooth between tiller and steering handle. I just re-positioned everything by 1 tooth and pointer on tiller now is in proper alignment.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.