Home Forum Ask A Member How to wire Cut off Switch on Evinrude Magneto Motor?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Steven Lichty
    Participant

US Member

I have a magneto 1960 Evinrude Lark II 40, with an electric start and Gale forward controls; key switch for the starter is on the dash of my 1959 Penn Yan.  I’d like to wire up an Emergency Cut Off Switch with a lanyard that I can clip to my life jacket; in case I go overboard I’d like it to turn off the motor.  I’ve seen the aftermarket cut off switches but don’t know how to wire one up to this motor.  Would anyone know how to do this? One step will be trying to decipher the wires on the back of the ignition switch…. would I be able to spice the switch into one of these wires and thus perhaps ground the magneto?  Any thoughts or experience anyone has had on this would be very welcomed.  Thank you.

crosbyman
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

50-60s magnetos are all the same… just  wire an extra wire on each point and hook-up the 2  wires  on a  normally open switch. 

mount  the button swicth   where you  would like to have it…. pushing the button with mutually short the coil primaries and kill the ignition

a safety cord  should do the same    short out the wires

just make certain whomever stays in boat knows how to restart the engine to pick you  up….more importantly  when above waterfalls  and rapids 🙁

alone…???    would you have a ladder to reboard … using the caviation  plate as a step ladder  isn’t always easy to do !

if you have 2  blacks (M)  on the switch  you can tap in on those to.   that is  what the  switch does when it kills ignition

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Steven Lichty
        Participant

US Member

Many thanks, Crosbyman! I appreciate the help!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.