Home Forum Ask A Member Hull restoration (and repowering)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    whizfish
    Participant

This is a little off topic, but I could use some help. I have a 1963 MFG Westfield in Lovell, Maine (Kezar Lake). I’m looking for someone to do some restoration work on the hull, possibly as extensive as removing the cockpit floor to get rid of the saturated foam. Does anyone know anyone in New England (VT, NH, ME, or MA) that might take on a project like this?

At the risk of being accused of heresy, I’ll also mention that I’m looking at repowering with a new or late model engine. My 63 Evinrude Lark w/ electric shift gave up the ghost today (does not shift) and I’m not much interested taking on the quest to get that sorted out. I love the boat (was my dad’s) and will invest to save it, but I’m not mechanical and would prefer to have clean, quiet, and reliable modern power.

Thanks,
      Dan

Nicholas Keller
      Participant

There are plenty of “reliable and quiet” options without getting much more modern than that. However, this site is primarily about keeping things period appropriate. Sorry to hear about the shift problem on the lark though the early selectric systems where known for it. Finding similar motors to that in a mechanical shift is relatively easy. The mechanical shift engines also had low failure rates comparatively.

I think if you are planning to re-power with anything 90s or newer this site isn’t going to provide you as much help as a local marina would that is after your hull is repaired.

If you have a horsepower rating for the hull that would help us to give you what options would be suitable whilst keeping your boat period correct. In my opinion the older hulls look so much better with the right style cowl pushing them.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        whizfish
        Participant

Understood. I realize folks here wouldn’t have much to offer about late model motors, but I’m especially interested in finding someone to help with the fiberglass work. The transom appears to be solid, which is a common failure point with these hulls, but I’d like a pro’s opinion about that. The boat spent most of its life in a boat house, so it’s in decent shape over all, with the exception of likely saturated foam below the cockpit floor.

I don’t disagree about the looks. The hull is rated to 70hp according to my sources. The existing motor is 40hp but I’d like to put a 50 or 60 on it for just a little more oomph with 4 or 5 people aboard (assuming the hull and transom check out). The only marina on this lake isn’t interested in servicing older motors, so that’s another consideration.

Mumbles
          Participant

If you are going to repower with a modern motor, you might want to check out what Yamaha or Suzuki have to offer.

Most ocean boats around here have gone to large Yams or Suzies with their six year warranty. The OMC/BRP dealers are basically gone now so the offshore motors are king now. One thing to bare in mind though is the four strokes are heavy and need a good transom to be mounted on.

Samuel Phelps
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

a 1963 MFG Westfield should have an all glass stringer and deck system in it .. And very little foam … The transom was the only structural part of the boat that had wood in it .
              http://www.fiberglassics.com/library/index.php?title=File:Mfgb63003.jpg
              http://www.fiberglassics.com/library/index.php?title=File:Mfgb63007.jpg
              Fiberglass is really not that hard to do .. If ya mess up just grind back down and do it again ..

crosbyman
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

https://www.amazon.ca/Runabout-Renovation-Find-Fiberglass-Speedboat/dp/0071580085

🙂

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Mumbles
                Participant

That’s a good book to have. I studied it hard when I restored a 16′ Double Eagle years ago!

amuller
                  Participant

I have this book and it’s helpful. If your boat has lived its life in a boathouse and not sat out uncovered, it’s possible that the transom is sound. Some exploratory drilling may tell you.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.