Home Forum Ask A Member Hydraulic transom function

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Beno
    Participant

I have a hydraulic transom to test. It has no wires.. no clue how it works.. there is one litlle lever in the back corner.. manipulating it does nothing.

How does it work??

IMG_20210722_160640_DRO

IMG_20210722_160704_DRO

Buccaneer
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Maybe it’s just like a “screen door” dampener, so the door
        doesn’t slam?

Prepare to be boarded!

outbdnut2
        Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Could be like Bucc said. For example, the 1960s V4 OMCs had two shock absorbers hidden between the transom clamps to ease the motor down some after tilting it up for motors without power tilt.
          Dave

Beno
          Participant

Sounds like it’s a “holder” and only has the ability to “lower” your engine prop…

I’m wondering where the power comes from to raise the engine so that this unit can hold it there… do you put it in reverse & rev it up? then lock it in place?

tilter

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by Beno.
            • This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by Beno.
            amuller
            Participant

Noting the “contents under pressure” tag and the fact that it seems to be in your hand fully retracted, I’m thinking it may be a gas-pressure-over-hydraulic counterbalance that has perhaps lost it’s pressure charge. Unless it’s a truly rare item, someone on here will recognize it.

billw
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I think Amuller is right. It is a gas/hydraulic lift assist. The little lever would have locked it up or down, after it was lifted or lowered. I don’t think I have ever seen one, because any Mercury I have ever worked on in that size had true electric power trim. If it is like OMC’s similar concept units, when they loose their internal pressure charge, you just throw them away. If this is a motor you want to save, I’m sure you can find a used PTT unit that will fit.

Long live American manufacturing!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by billw.
                amuller
                Participant

Or, if u were feeling creative, you might be able to connect that cylinder to a tilt pump.

Beno
                  Participant

thanks for the information.. it seems that it’s called: Manual Tilt & Trim Assist

Part number
                    830050T3
                    which has been superseded by part number
                    8M0118570

I see some places it’s for sale piston extended, other places it comes compressed.. so Far it’s still a bit of a mystery how it definitely works.
                    I cannot find a manual anywhere.. (since the word “manual” is part of the part name, makes it near impossible)
                    I did find a parts diagram that looks like the unit tho.

exploded

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.