Home Forum Ask A Member I hate 4 Strokes

Viewing 5 posts - 51 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    fleetwin
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I just wish I could see the parts and this plastic piece you are referring to so I can understand this air leak problem better….Is the intake manifold made of plastic?

bullie
      Participant
        quote fleetwin:

I just wish I could see the parts and this plastic piece you are referring to so I can understand this air leak problem better….Is the intake manifold made of plastic?

No, the manifold appears to be cast aluminum to me. I don’t have any pictures of it but maybe I can describe it to you. Looking at the motor from the front the intake manifold is on the left side rear. Moving forward it has a paper gasket, plastic spacer, paper gasket, carb, bracket for electric choke, then a air box reaching to the front of the motor. Long bolts run from the air box through all the parts then into the intake manifold.

I will look for a picture.

bullie
        Participant

https://www.google.com/search?q=nissan+ … _oDt0gjLSM:

This is the closest I could find. Pictured is a Mercury manual start motor of the same type. The only differences I see is that the choke is electric and sits on a bracket directly above the carb. The bracket is attached forward of the carb and aft of the air box.

billw
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Wow, that is a great find and good to know! While I have done that test many times on stern drive engines (propane works, too) and even on a couple of Merc four strokes with PLASTIC manifolds, I would have never considered that area, as a possible leak! Have you taken it apart yet, to see what the problem was?

Long live American manufacturing!

bullie
            Participant
              quote BillW:

Wow, that is a great find and good to know! While I have done that test many times on stern drive engines (propane works, too) and even on a couple of Merc four strokes with PLASTIC manifolds, I would have never considered that area, as a possible leak! Have you taken it apart yet, to see what the problem was?

No, I haven’t driven back out there since getting it running. I figured I would let the owner test it out for a few days to see if any further issues surface. This motor is around 10 years old and I believe 3 weeks is the standing record for longest time running. Hoping we set a new record!

The problem with taking it apart to check further is that I will have to launch my boat or borrow one to get to the rear of the motor and honestly, I am a bit weary of messing with it. I am easily 20 hrs into this thing. I am reasonably sure that either the intake manifold flange is slightly off square or has some defect on it’s face that is allowing the air to enter. The other possibilities are the plastic spacer or, less likely, the bracket supporting the choke. The electric choke isn’t shown in the picture I posted but it sits directly above the carb. Maybe it is bent enough to torque everything slightly out of line and allow air to pass by those paper gaskets.

Viewing 5 posts - 51 through 55 (of 55 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.