Home Forum Ask A Member I’m stumped on this Johnson

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    wiscoboater
    Participant

Hi Guys,
      Happy football season to all. GO PACKERS! I picked up a Johnson 20hp today that has me stumped here. Model number is 20BA76D. It’s a 1976, but the model number does not come up on marineengin.com and they do not list a 20hp for the 1976 model year. First off, it has this crazy looking gear case

Then it has this strange plug in on the port side

Anyone have any info on this? I’ve never come across this plug or gear case before. The model number thing has me stumped as well.

Thanks guys,
      Wannabe

pappy
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Model number ref guide lists the engine as a recreational engine. Looks like it has the AC outlet on the side which would indicate South American or Euro market.
        some of those engines made their way back over here and some were surplus and sold over here.

wiscoboater
        Participant

What does the AC outlet do? Does the engine have a charging capabilities? Bye the way Pappy, I’m glad you are relaxing more. What good are these hobbies if one has no time to enjoy them!

frankr
          Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

The AC outlet is mostly for running lights, but yes you can add a rectifier to make it DC and it will charge a battery. 5 Amps, I think.

The letter preceding the serial number should indicate where it was built. If it is "B", that means Belgium.

Yeah, OMC made those funky fins on the gearcase from time to time. Sometimes they were an option, sometimes you accepted it or go buy a motor somewhere else. Can you imagine how that thing would gather weeds here in FL? We had to take a hacksaw to the fins.

wiscoboater
            Participant

Interesting, I learn something new on these things every day. I’m going to convert this one to electric start so I guess the AC plug will not be needed. I run around in fairly weedless areas of my local lakes so I think I’ll keep the fins. If nothing else they are great conversation items.

theodore
              Participant

I wonder if you’d lose a race if yours had the fins?

1946zephyr
                Participant

Are you sure that its not a military model?

wiscoboater
                  Participant

Would this odd ball gear case use the same seal kit as the standard 76 gear case? Also, because the motor is not listed on marineengin only the 25hp is, I’m assuming I can use the 25hp carb kit and head gasket?

fleetwin
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yes, the innards/seals should be the same as the conventional models. And yes, the engine should use the same 1976 25hp head gasket and carb kit.

wiscoboater
                      Participant

Thanks Guys!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.