Home Forum Ask A Member I need some counseling….

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    mas
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Just a thought from previous experience…check the “plastic pin” at the base of the armature control lever…mine was busted and would never advance fully. See pic:

Armature-control-lever

Mas

fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks for the vote of confidence Tubs, I know the answer will come to me sometime, probably in my sleep. I have kind of side lined this project, but will get back at it once I find another decent carb of the same vintage….

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Just a thought from previous experience…check the “plastic pin” at the base of the armature control lever…mine was busted and would never advance fully. See pic:

Armature-control-lever

Mas

Thanks Mas, a good thought. But, the vertical throttle rod is hitting its WOT stop on the block, and the carb is opening fully…. I’m sure the problem is something basic like this, I have just overlooked it or made of foolish assumption…

cajuncook1
          Participant

You may have mentioned already, but have you evaluated part 15 in the diagram part # 0315140

People love to gouge those orifice jets with all kinds of thing to clean them. If enlarged, they can create a rich running condition. Sorry if you have already reviewed this and I missed it.

1969-Evirnude-6hp-lower-carburetor-bowl

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

You may have mentioned already, but have you evaluated part 15 in the diagram part # 0315140

People love to gouge those orifice jets with all kinds of thing to clean them. If enlarged, they can create a rich running condition. Sorry if you have already reviewed this and I missed it.

1969-Evirnude-6hp-lower-carburetor-bowl

You make an excellent point….The main jet is “marked” 44… The part number mentioned is 315140, the problem is that I have no way of connecting the part number to the number on the jet…
              And yes, I have considered that someone could have hogged the hole to a larger size…My next move will be to try a carb assembly from a different engine.
              I am “guessing” this jet has not been hogged out, only because the engine doesn’t seem rich, but who knows.
              Will be getting back to this project soon, put it aside for awhile due to frustration, but am getting fired up about it again….
              D

fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Haven’t been in the basement much lately, but wanted to keep this post alive….I did go back and actually check compression, 75PSI on both cylinders….This reading seems “OK” considering the engine is on a stand facing the wall and I could not give the rewind much of a yanking.
                So, next, I will try a different carburetor when I get back to this thing. I think I left the original reed plate with this replacement powerhead, just swapped the outer intake cover from my “rebuild”, so I don’t feel the reeds are an issue.
                The only other idea that popped into my cobb web is that I did have the gearcase apart and replaced the driveshaft. Perhaps the gearcase is binding at high speed, or the impeller is an ill fit, although I only use the OEM pieces. This gearcase does not have the driveshaft shock absorber, so that is not the issue here….
                It’s gotta be something silly and basic that I have overlooked or made a foolish assumption about….

billw
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Still waiting for you tell me where to send a perfect, install-and-run carb that I have for you………(-:

Long live American manufacturing!

fleetwin
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Still waiting for you tell me where to send a perfect, install-and-run carb that I have for you………(-:

Thanks buddy, haven’t forgotten about your generous offer, been a little under the weather lately….D

oldcollector
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Here is a note from the old Evinrude manual that may help you. Motor starves: A.water or foreign matter clogging fuel passages like:fuel lines, jets,and screens. B:carb. float valve gummed up or set to low. C: carb. jets needle valves,fuel lines,fuel screens dirty, faulty check valve in fuel line at primer bulb. D: loose or defective carburetor.gasket. E: dirt preventing leaf valve from closing,or broke leaf. These might help you to figure out just what the problem is. good luck to you.

fleetwin
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Here is a note from the old Evinrude manual that may help you. Motor starves: A.water or foreign matter clogging fuel passages like:fuel lines, jets,and screens. B:carb. float valve gummed up or set to low. C: carb. jets needle valves,fuel lines,fuel screens dirty, faulty check valve in fuel line at primer bulb. D: loose or defective carburetor.gasket. E: dirt preventing leaf valve from closing,or broke leaf. These might help you to figure out just what the problem is. good luck to you.

Thanks buddy, I’m sure it is something basic…

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 20 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.