Home Forum Ask A Member Idle issues on my FD-11

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    opposedtwin
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

So I have an FD model (1957) that runs like a chanp at WOT, but at about 1/3 throttle, it will buck or jerk momentarily. It doesn’t die but it will come real close. Needless to say, the motor will die if I bring the idle way down. I never have to shut off the motor when coming into the dock. I have gone through the carb and the motor has less than 3 hours on the new rings. Excellent compression. Starts on the first pull without fail.

So what causes it and how do I fix it? Is it simply dialing in the low speed needle? I’ve tried that and it doesn’t seem to help.
      Thanks!
      Scott

frankr
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

What you describe sounds like running too lean. The low speed needle doesn’t fix it? Perhaps the carb sync with the mag plate is off. Or, an air leak.

opposedtwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks Frank hadn’t thought about the magneto or an air leak but I will look into them. the jerking is more like a thumping. it is different than the sneezing that I normally get when it’s too lean.

Any tips for me regarding carburetor magneto synchronization?

opposedtwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

An air leak would most likely come from the tank correct?

Mumbles
            Participant

You might want to check the top crank seal for leaks, especially if it has never been changed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXt6fV6Z5rc

opposedtwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I remember changing that when I put in rings. I will check the synchro and try it again.

chris-p
                Participant

Advance the throttle, and watch the carb linkage. It should just start to move when the roller is at the hash mark on the cam. That is easy enough to check.

Then try turning low speed needle, CCW, or out 1/4 to 1/2 a turn.

Another thing to check is to run it at night with cowl off. I wonder if at that throttle setting, the plug wire is chafed and shorting out to the powerhead somewhere. You should see and hear the arcing. Neon spark testers wired inline while you throttle down would show inconsistent spark as well, showing you it is spark related.

The air leak could be from many places, from the connectors at tank or motor, to the fuel line itself, to the crank seal Mumbles mentioned, to the carb (welch plug, throttle shaft,etc) It can sometimes be a bear to pinpoint, sometimes easily found.

wiscoboater
                  Participant

Did you replace all fuel and air lines? Good place to start.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.