Home Forum Ask A Member I’m absolutely bushed

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    crosbyman
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

and……….

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

billw
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I’m not sure where our original poster went; but his motor is a very small one, with a self contained tank, and was competitive with a two hp Johnson or Evinrude. The gas tank is gravity feed. They don’t have a primer bulb. The carbs are dirt simple and don’t even have a low speed circuit, as we commonly think of it. I still have to find that idle speed spec…..

Long live American manufacturing!

Monte NZ
        Participant

International Member - 2 Years

Hi everyone
          First of all,……my “Sincere Apologies” to you all!

I have just realised that I had failed to reply and keep you all up to date regarding this problem 2hp Yamaha that I contacted you about back in Feb.
          To bring you up to date, we followed up with all your recommendations and suggestions and finally came to the conclusion that the problem was poor sealing in the lower crankcase as there was very low suction/vacum and that it was only when starting the motor with my electric drill on high speed, that there was enough suction to allow the motor to run only at higher revs.

Looking back, we thought we were being clever by using the drill to start it, but it was actually fooling us and it was only when we tried roping the motor over, (which failed to even get a cough out of the motor) that we came to the conclusion that it must be a vacum problem. At this point we then decided to sell the motor for parts as the economics of repair would be very high.

Thanks once again all of you and billw,…… your description of the motor was correct. My only other comment is that they are not an easy motor to work on when dealing with the water pump, especially when comparing them to the 2hp Evinrude /Johnsons of the 1970s onward.

Monte NZ

crosbyman
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

thanks for your feedback. We all learn for good feedback.

I guess the seal was bad at the onset ……when you look at mid 50’S OMC products still purring away all day long.

Folks are always comparing horror stories with this or that manuf. and yet. yams have good reputation around the world but it seems here we have a case of Murphy doing what he does best. 🙁

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by crosbyman.
            billw
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

That’s a little surprising because if the Japs do anything right, it’s rubber stuff. But I always take note that they are not perfect. To hear Yuppies and Consumer Reports tell it, they are. But they definitely are not.

Long live American manufacturing!

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.