Home Forum Ask A Member Impeller – key vs pin to shaft

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    dan-in-tn
    Participant

US Member

I have actually seen a key made that way somewhere in OMC stables. Don’t know if it was in this application. Maybe FrankR will chime in again here. $60 is a shame, but I guess the guy had setup time and all. Did you cut the slot right where the pin hole was? That way you didn’t weaken the shaft anymore. Just wondering? Looks like you are good to go now.

Dan in TN

1946zephyr
      Participant

$60 bucks? wow. I would have posted a want ad and got the correct shaft for about half.

johnny-infl
        Participant

I did post an ad . . . and scoured ebay for months.
          only one response with one shaft available.
          so when we are posed with limited options, not much we can do about it.
          I have an extra shaft to an old Force motor that I am going to practice
          cutting a key slot with a die grinder and the proper cutting wheel.
          I have a grinder that has high torque and low RPMs, so I can probably do it.
          I won’t be paying that much again, I tell you that !!!

yes, the slot is cut over the pin hole – weakening the shaft was also a concern
          with too many holes in it. These shafts are not near as hard as one would think.

The machine shop is like any professional business. They have a standard price
          of several things and the $90.00 per hour setup and machine use is what they charge.
          and yes, to do a job right the first time on something that is not easily replaceable,
          takes a very talented young man running the machine ——- It all costs money.

many many MANY of the custom stainless steel rails, stairs, balconies, etc
          at Disney World in Orlando and NASA at Cape Canaveral come from this shop.

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Looks real nice!

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.