Home Forum Ask A Member Impeller life…..lack of use

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    drifter
    Participant

Just curious. Some of my motors sit on the rack 2 to 4 years between runs.

I always replace an impeller (mostly mid 50’s OMC) during a refurbish. Once testing is completed, I place the motor on my storage racks.

How long is it safe to store a motor, before the impeller would take a set that would render the impeller not advisable to use?
      Thanks,
      Drifter

fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, if you have replaced the impeller, then let it sit for awhile, I’m sure it is OK… But, you surely would want to monitor pump performance when you use it again….

joecb
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Suggest that you go through your collection and “rope over” the motors a couple of times a year, good insurance against “impellor set” and stuck pistons…. just a half turn is all that’s needed.

Joe B

billw
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OMCs are more apt to be okay. A Merc that has set for just a few years is questionable. Just had one a few years ago, a Mark 25, that failed to pump correctly. The impeller was about three years old but only had maybe an hour of actual run time. Merc impellers take a horrendously bad set.

Long live American manufacturing!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.