Information on Montgomery Ward Sea King, Clinton Outboard

Home Forum Ask A Member Information on Montgomery Ward Sea King, Clinton Outboard

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• farmboy71

Replies: 14
    Topics: 5

I received a free outboard. The cowling says it is a Montgomery Wards Sea King 7.5 HP. The ID plate says Clinton but the serial number does not start with the KTV prefix that I have read that Montgomery Wards motors made by Clinton should have. My question is; Is this a Montgomery Wards or really a Clinton with the wrong cowling on it? Also what year would it be? Right now there is no spark but I am cleaning up the rust.

Mod. Num. K750 3106 C
    Serial Num. 980409
    Type Num. 60 52275 R

retiredoz

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 565
    Topics: 27

The 750 was produced ’74 and ’75, using the same block as the the 7-hp of those years. With any luck at all it still has the old-style ignition, which means you can still get parts. Don’t know what the difference between the MW and the ‘pure’ Clinton would be except trim.

I have the owner’s manual/parts list for the 7-hp. It includes service specs. Although air-cooled, these motors use water to cool the exhaust. So if you get it to run, don’t run it unless it pumps…

farmboy71

Replies: 14
    Topics: 5

Yes, it has the old style ignition. I have a set of points to fit it and I might have a Tecumseh condenser around too. The coil tested good on a multimeter. Any idea what spark plug is supposed to be in this engine?

frankr

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

AC 44S or Champion J12Y

ggoldy

Replies: 75
    Topics: 14

Good/odd timing for this post. I recently picked up two Clinton K500’s. One is frozen. I think I can make a good one out of the two.
    He also threw in a one cylinder, frozen, Sea King(3.5hp?). The lower stack is the same as the Clintons. This one has XTV 27003 B on the tag.
    The Clintons are K500 3000 A and K500 3000 B. Could both of these motors be serial #3000? One an ‘A’ and one a ‘B’?
    And what do the "A and B" mean?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.