Home Forum Ask A Member Innie Or Outie

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mumbles
    Participant

Just wondering how you guys set the points adjusting screw on the OMC mags. Do you have it on the inner or the outer end of the slot ? I’m curious because for years I’ve had it positioned on the outer end for fine adjusting but on the last couple of mags I’ve worked on, I used the inner end of the slot with good results.

Attachments:

fisherman6
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I prefer them on the outer end of the slot, but sometimes I leave them on the innie (sometimes I forget to switch them around). I have occasionally found some that I can’t get to adjust onnthe outie but will on the innie. Innthat case, obviously it goes to the innie.
        -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

joesnuffy
        Participant

Great Question. Can’t wait to hear from others.
          Joe

david-bartlett
          Participant

I like the back end of the slot for finer adjustment when using a multimeter. Sometimes if points are really worn out, I need to flip it around to the front to get enough adjustment.

frankr
            Participant

US Member

I generally use the outer end of the slot, but no good reason why. More important to realize is it is a screw and will bottom out if screwed all the way in and in that case you might not have enough adjustment range. Or of course if not screwed in far enough to hold it captive in the slot, it can vibrate out and do a world of hurt on the magneto parts.

chris-p
              Participant

For the reasons Frank stated, I tighten it fully down, then back it out to my adjustment to prevent it loosening up. THe more threads in the hole the better in my opinion.

fleetwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Interesting topic, have never paid much attention to this I guess….

garry-in-michigan
                  Participant

Lifetime Member

I use the outer section – Slightly more than 90 degrees in either direction is as far as it will adjust. In mid range, outer gives slightly better leverage. . . 😀

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.