Home Forum Ask A Member Is this a 1937 Evinrude 2.5hp Sportwin??

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    cajuncook1
    Participant

Went to get a starter and starter bracket for my 1957 Seaking 25hp from a seller. I noticed he had a couple of old motors still. When I got to a motor that looked like a pre war Sportwin, he said it was locked and just wall decoration. He said he got it years ago and never did anything with it.

I offered him $20 for it and he said sure. 😀

I got home and a gently rotated the power head to see if it had any play and it was free and it had good compression bounce. I have not checked with a gauge, because I am suppose to garage cleaning and not collecting….lol….shhhh

The id plate has 4209 as the model. So, that should be a 1937 Evinrude 2.5hp Sportwin, but I can find any pictures that look like it. I know it is a little rough, but hey $20 bucks. 😉

garry-in-michigan
      Participant

Lifetime Member

It Sure is! The following year they added a rubber clutch in the prop and changed the exhaust outlet. With minor changes (360 degree steering – weedless drive.) it carried through to 1947. The simplex starter was an extra cost accessary, later made standard.

– 😉

cajuncook1
        Participant

Garry,

Thanks for the verification and the picture. I tried Googling it, but I would just find pics of later models. Going to have to find a prop for that thing. I have to stop finding motors. I am way behind on my projects. 😆 😆 😆

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.