Home Forum Ask A Member ISO ’59 Super Seahorse pump impeller advice

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    wetwillie
    Participant

I’d like to get any advice possible before I pull the lower unit to r&r the water pump impeller on my ’59 Super Seahorse 35.
      At this time, all I know is that there are 2 water tubes.
      A link to a service manual or a source for one would be appreciated too. 🙂
      Thanks AGAIN!
      Wet Willie

raglover
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Nothing too big in the way of differences. Impeller is a little bigger than the standard twins and uses a key instead if a pin. Coat the key with grease to get it to stay in better on reassembly, it likes to slide out. I usually put the implementation on the shaft first coat the housing with Vaseline or silicone and then push the housing on as I turn the driveshaft so the impeller "spins" in. Just make sure you spin it the same way as engine rotation.

There is a lip seal in the top of housing, give it a quick glance and a flat rubber ring that seals the drive shaft tube.

outbdnut2
        Participant

You will find an access door in each of the two lower housings to allow you to disconnect the shift rod so you can pull the lower unit and driveshaft. Take off one access door and you will see another inside. You can pull the driveshaft out of the lower unit without any gears falling apart.
          Dave

wetwillie
          Participant
            quote outbdnut2:

You will find an access door in each of the two lower housings to allow you to disconnect the shift rod so you can pull the lower unit and driveshaft. Take off one access door and you will see another inside. You can pull the driveshaft out of the lower unit without any gears falling apart.
            Dave

I meant to ask about that. I removed the outermost cover last night, expecting to see the 2 linkage bolts underneath. I wasn’t expecting to see another access door. If I understand your response, Dave, the 2 linkage bolts are under the 2nd cover. Hmmm, how odd.
            Thanks a lot.

frankr
            Participant

There is a large O-ring on top of the water pump housing. If you leave that O-ring out, you are in for a big surprise. It won’t run worth a hoot with the hood on because it will fill with exhaust smoke. And if I hadn’t told you, you would spend lots and lots of time trying to figure out why.

outbdnut2
              Participant

quote WetWillie:

I meant to ask about that. I removed the outermost cover last night, expecting to see the 2 linkage bolts underneath. I wasn’t expecting to see another access door. If I understand your response, Dave, the 2 linkage bolts are under the 2nd cover. Hmmm, how odd.
                Thanks a lot.

Having two housings with space between quiets the exhaust housing noise.

wetwillie
                Participant

Great design. I didn’t realize that there are 2 housings until I removed the 6 perimeter bolts and linkage bolts and the lower unit wouldn’t separate from the motor. Minor detail that one must remove the outer housing to access the additional hidden bolt. Lesson learned.

kerry
                  Participant

Not the greatest, but here is a manual. http://www.boatinfo.no/lib/evinrude/man … de.html#/0

If you have too many, AND not enough, you're a collector.

wetwillie
                    Participant

It took awhile to get around to pulling the lower unit and opening the pump assembly. I believe the seller was telling the truth when he said it hadn’t been in the water since the early 70’s. The inner surface of the pump was pretty badly corroded. I scraped the corrosion off, Scotch-brited it and finished it off with 400 grit WD sandpaper. I regret not buying the entire assembly vs just the impeller but will do so the next time.
                      I was going to start a new thread to ask a generic question but will do so here instead. What are the disadvantages, if any, of putting a film of water proof grease on the inside of the pump housing before reassembly? I can give plenty of benefits especially in light of how badly pock marked the inside was but would like to know why its not a good idea.
                      I haven’t tightened anything up yet so it’d be relatively easy to open it back up and wipe off the grease if I should.
                      THANKS again!

1946zephyr
                      Participant

That wouldn’t hurt anything, but it’s not necessary. Submersion of the lower unit in the water will suffice.
                        However, I would definitely apply a coat of sealer on the bottom side of the wear plate, where it mounts to the gear case.
                        They don’t pump worth a darn, if the bottom side isn’t sealed properly.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.