Home Forum Ask A Member johnson 1929 model K45 7.15hp

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Motor has a compression relief lever – I know it how it works.

it also has a relief lever for the exhaust – do I start motor with this closed or open and then run it open?

george-emmanuel
      Participant

US Member

Are you following the other K-45 post? The compression lever opens an exhaust valve to relieve cranking pressure on one (starboard) cylinder. It also closes the intake port so you crank the motor on one cylinder making it easier to pull over. Personally, I don’t use the compression release on my PR, PO, S-45 and V-45. I find them easy to pull over.

George

Participant

Chuck–I have a K45 that is missing the exhaust relief lever on the handle and relief valve on the exhaust tube. Would you mind posting some close up pictures of these parts? I am particularly interested in what the valve assembly on the exhaust tube looks like. Thanks!

Tom
          Participant

US Member

Here are some photos of the actuator lever. This one was machined from parts cast by Art DeKalb.

T

Participant

Thanks–I’ve recently ordered one of these from Art–yours certainly turned out well! Does your engine still have the original valve? All I have is the cover plate. Appreciate any tips you have on replacing those parts.

Tom
              Participant

US Member

Sorry, I’ve passed that motor on to a new owner. IIRC, there was a cone shaped piece that was spring loaded to close against the opening. I think Art’s parts come with a machining guide. Let me know if you need information regarding the sequence I used.

T

Goman
                Participant

This is what I came up with.

Participant

Thanks!!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.