Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson 1957 18hp Flywheel Problems

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    jeff-register
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

My eyes are failing me a little but do I see the nut still on the crankshaft? Be very careful not to screw the bolts into the flywheel very deep, you will damage the magneto. Tighten the center big bolt very tight, then hit the center bolt to loosen the grip on the flywheel & retighten the big bolt
      again. It should come off after a few smack & tighten cycles.

Doug Wilson
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

looks like the flywheel nut is still on there. Is it lose enough to allow the flywheel to move?

Doug

how is it motors multiply when the garage lights get
        turned off?

rschiff
        Participant

please see my last post…got the flywheel off last night!

billy-j
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

From your picture it looks like you still have the flywheel nut on. If so take it off. Also your bolts are way to long . I would ( have the flywheel nut completely off) back the big main center screw in your puller off so you can use the shortest bolt possible. you need some heavy washers because the slots are way to big in the puller you may have to stack 2 or three washers to make them stout enough not to bend. Then figure the length of the bolt’s to go into the thread full depth in flywheel and thru puller and washers then go to auto parts store and get some 8 grade bolts. Thread bolts into flywheel full depth then using center puller bolt tighten up puller assembly good and tight. Then pick up on flywheel ( it will move up and down a few 1000 thousandths ) just hold it up with your hand ( up pressure ) and give the center puller bolt a quick rap with a hammer. Not a smashing blow but a fast quick hard rap with hammer. One or two raps should be all it takes always holding up on the flywheel when doing it. This should do it. You do not want to get into a situation where you are just beating it to death. You could mushroom the thread on the crankshaft or damage the engine block or pull the threads out of the aluminum flywheel. Prepare well, in this case haste will make waste. Bill,

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.