Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson 1957 18hp Flywheel Problems

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    rschiff
    Participant

Ok,
      …I have tried everything I have learned in my short 6 months of working on older motors and I can’t budge the flywheel on this motor. I have a flywheel puller and felt like it was about to explode earlier as I torqued it down. Hit it square with hammer, etc. Am I missing something? Is there anything else that needs to be done to get this puppy to move.

fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Are you using the OMC puller? Maybe try an impact gun on the main puller screw.

lloyd
        Participant

US Member

Did you loosen the flywheel nut? Don’t mean to be sarcastic. It does happen.

frankr
          Participant

US Member

Are you lifting or levering the flywheel upward while you whack the puller bolt? BTW, don’t beat heck out of it, a sharp whack is more effective. It’s the shock that does it, not the bash.

rschiff
            Participant

I am trying to lever it up with the back of a hammer pivoting on top of the powerhead but was scared to pry to hard as it is only on one side, but to answer your question, yes I tried prying and hitting with hammer. And I am only hitting it once at a time with max torque on flywheel, no beating on it. 🙂

jerry-ahrens
              Participant

US Member

For the really stubborn ones, I would recommend the OMC factory puller. The puller plate is very thick and doesn’t have any give when torqued down.

jim-moffatt
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

use a torch to heat up the hub and expand it. Make sure the rim where the magnets are doesnt get too hot to touch otherwise they wil loose their charge.

rschiff
                  Participant

Ok here are some pics just in case I am not seeing "clearly"…No judging me if I am missing something stupid! Wont be the first or the last time.

Scared to try the heating technique just yet.

frankr
                    Participant

US Member

You haven’t busted the bolts yet, so you must not be mean enough. Give it H…., it will come off. Nothing to do with pulling it, but do you have the ring that’s missing from the flywheel?

rschiff
                      Participant

Yes, I took it off trying to find anything I was missing. Heavy sucker.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 34 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.