Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson 40hp Quick Connect Plug

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    johnny-infl
    Participant

I saw this plug on e-bay for $80 plus $7 shipping.
      are these toasted plugs rebuildable or repairable ???
      I have two just like this one and almost tossed them in the trash last week
      thinking they were toast and would only present a hazard or problem down the line.
      My idea for the replacement is to straight wire the motor to the main box as once
      a 135 pound outboard is installed and bolted on, it is not something that is removed very often.
      Not that I want to salvage the ones I have, was just wondering if they have a demand somewhere.

1946zephyr
      Participant

$80, Huh? Wow, the scammers are on every corner now. You might get a better deal from one of the members here, who would like give you a better deal on one that looks better. Wow, I just can’t believe what people are selling these days.
        The good news is though, that wiring harness is repairable. You will just need to put some new coating on that starter lead.

johnny-infl
        Participant

Zepher, I am not looking to buy a new one . . . . I just happen to see this one
          while surfing for motor stuff on E-Bay and I have two identical ones that are
          in the same condition……. I know that when copper starts its cancerous rust inside the casing,
          it goes all the way into the brain. Which, in my opinion, is only a matter of time
          before you start to have continuity or arcing problems.
          I was just wondering if all the old copper can be removed and new put in and
          encapsulated like original. I was just SHOCKED at how someone could ask $80
          for something like that if it can never be fixed………
          LOL if it does sell, I have two that will be listed on E-Bay shortly thereafter.

crosbyman
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

suckers born every minute… the man said

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

chris-p
            Participant

I have zero faith in these old connectors. Only a matter of time like you said.

When I rig one on a boat, I either hard wire it with brand new wire, or, you can buy them new here. Not cheap, but new.

http://www.nymarine.ca/wiringharness.htm

1946zephyr
              Participant
                quote Johnny_inFL:

Zepher, I am not looking to buy a new one . . . . I just happen to see this one
                while surfing for motor stuff on E-Bay and I have two identical ones that are
                in the same condition……. I know that when copper starts its cancerous rust inside the casing,
                it goes all the way into the brain. Which, in my opinion, is only a matter of time
                before you start to have continuity or arcing problems.
                I was just wondering if all the old copper can be removed and new put in and
                encapsulated like original. I was just SHOCKED at how someone could ask $80
                for something like that if it can never be fixed………
                LOL if it does sell, I have two that will be listed on E-Bay shortly thereafter.

Well, your last sentence just solidified my point. I can get one from a member here that was about to chuck ’em 😆 😆

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.