Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson 6: No spark on both cylinders

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    speedlinerbu
    Participant

US Member

Well thank you everyone for advice and for pitching in.
      This morning I put in new spark plugs. I’m at a summer camp with limited tools.
      Got spark this time but still no start.
      Sprayed ether three times and it began to run!
      Although great clouds of smoke came out for a little while.
      Turned it loose on the lake and after running out the “rich” now runs fine.
      When I return south with it on my roof rack again, I will be sure to run it dry first!

Mumbles
      Participant

Sweet! It sounds like it was full of mix from over choking and that caused all the smoke. Did you go with NGK plugs?

speedlinerbu
        Participant

US Member

Champion J8C.
          Thanks for your support!
          Tell me more about NGK and why you like them.

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Stick with the champion J6C plugs….

outbdnut2
            Participant

US Member

I haven’t seen a difference in the 6 HPs like yours between Champion J6C and NGK, but then I haven’t worked on very many of those 6s. but on a 9.9 from the 1970s, nothing I could do would make it idle good enough for trolling with new Champions. I switched to NGKs, just because I had some, and it ran perfect. It made me a believer in NGK for the 1970s 9.9s. Based on that, I figure the NGKs should best for some other motors too. In some late 1980s/early 1990s 15 HPs, that idled acceptably with Champions, switching to NGK made them idle/troll fantastic. Others here have reported similar results.
              Dave

Mumbles
              Participant

Because over the years I’ve had several brand new Champions fail right out of the box. I go thru lots of plugs and purchase NGK’s by the ten pack and have never had a bad one yet. Older outboards seem to run a bit better with them to.

Champion has changed their country of manufacture several times and I think they left the old quality control behind somewhere along the way. I’ve seen a video of the NGK factory in Japan and their quality control is number one! Each individual plug is inspected manually and random plugs are continuously being tested for proper gap and performance. An NGK plug with -10 at the end of its number means it has been pre gapped to one millimeter, or 0.039″. Checking them with a feeler gauge verifies this. Any Champion I’ve ever purchased has had to have its gap set.

This is sorta like the Ford vs Chevy thing. Each one gets the job done and everyone has one they prefer more than the other so if it’s Champions which float your boat, so be it. Myself, it’s NGK’s all the way!

And no, I don’t have any affiliation with the company in any way!

NGK_Spark_logo

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.