Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson A Magneto Setup Help

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    adam1961
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Hello,
      I would like to clean and set the points on a 1924 Johnson A. I would assume that the gap should be around .020″ when the arm is on the cam under the flywheel.
      The difficulty that I am having is that when the points seem to be open to the maximum, they are not very well accesible through the window in the flywheel. Does this mean that thier mounting on the mag plate may be off? I have not done one of these earlier models before and am not sure how to set them properly. Any advice would be helpful.

lyks2tinkr
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I believe on the early Johnsons there is a timing mark on the flywheel rim and the mag plate.
        The points should just start to open when the marks line up.
        You may need to adjust it a bit but you should be able to open at the marks and get a max opening of .020
        They are great running g antiques.

The Boat House
        Participant

adam1961
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Thanks Guys! It takes some trial and error to get the points in the right spot, but I now have a nice spark with the points breaking right on the mark.

This one is almost ready to run.

lyks2tinkr
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Your very welcome. I’m sure you’ll enjoy the ride. The Johnson A motors are sweet running g antiques.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.