Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson CD12

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    russ
    Participant

Just got this motor running today and noticed water dripping behind shift handle.I am thinking shift seal and bushing must be replaced. Have done whole ignition and it fired right up and ran.I might as well keep going its no good like this. Thanks all. Russ…

fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Chances are that the bushing in the exhaust housing is worn, pretty common, not much you can do about it…You can replace the shift handle oring, but chances are that won’t help much. The bushing in the exhaust hsg is not replaceable either. Im sure you could find a similar bushing somewhere, drill out the hole slightly and press in a new bushing… Sounds like you have the engine back together and running, I wouldn’t worry about the dripping unless it is really excessive. Try pumping more grease into the shift handle grease fitting, might slow down the drip for awhile…
        Let the bushing wait until you do the next water pump job….

frankr
        Participant

US Member

Most of those things drip. Yes, it is the o-ring on the shifter handle, and is harmless except for being unsightly.. Any water coming out there has gone through the engine and done its job of cooling and is heading back to the lake anyway.

russ
          Participant

Thank you very much. Will try new o-ring on shift handle and go from there.

Mumbles
            Participant

Just got this motor running today and noticed water dripping behind shift handle.I am thinking shift seal and bushing must be replaced. Have done whole ignition and it fired right up and ran.I might as well keep going its no good like this. Thanks all. Russ…

The drip and the slop can both be easily fixed by drilling out the housing to accept a bushing made out of brass tubing. The tubing is available at a hobby shop and just about every motor I tear down gets this treatment for ‘like new again’ performance.

IMGP1908

IMGP1907

IMGP1909

IMGP1905

russ
              Participant

Thanks for the tip Mumbles I will give it a go….

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.