Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson Fat 50….yah or nay?..

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Don Pearl
    Participant

I have a lead on a 59 fat 50 Johnson mounted on a 15 foot Shell lake boat.
      A Balko 708 trailer is included. Motor not running but turns by hand. Looks to be in good shape overall. Any input would be appreciated. Not sure what i can buy it for but i am thinking 100.00 bucks.
      Its a 6 hour drive each way on winter roads to pi k it up.

frankr
      Participant

US Member

Somebody is sure to say it is a gas hog, so we might as well get that out of the way. Otherwise, they were a very successful motor and a pioneer in V-4 technology. Not super fast on a light boat, they proved their worth on a heavier boat.

Boosted to 75hp the following year, but the 50 continued to be made with the 75hp lower unit and sold as 60hp by Gale until 1963, then in 1964 Evinrude and Johnson incorporated it into their line, still as a 60 as a lower-cost motor alongside their 75hp. The 60 would run within a mile or two as fast as a 75, but on less gas. Yep, you heard that right, the “gas hog” ran on less gas than the 75!!

kerry
        Participant

US Member

I seem to recall that swapping the carb/intake from the 75hp gave a bit of power and better (than stock) gas mileage. If you buy it, might be worth investigating…

If you have too many, AND not enough, you're a collector.

crosbyman
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

compression #s ?????

Joining AOMCI has priviledges πŸ™‚

The Boat House
            Participant
              The Boat House
              Participant
                crosbyman
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

tubs.. nice boat reminds me of my Crosby Cruisette sitting across my cottage lot where the guy I sold it to is letting it cook in the sun and snow for the past 14 years πŸ™

crosbyman
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

here is a picture of my be loved boat ..I should have kept came with sink… toilette 2 bunks 17 feet good for 90 hp

solid boat for rainy days on big lakes

• This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by crosbyman.
                  Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.