Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson FD14 18hp 1960 Impeller

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    piddler
    Participant

Hello
      When I tighten bolts on my lower unit. After I installed new impeller I cannot pull through my rope starter. When loosened a little it will pull through??? Know what causes may be?
      Thanks in advance Piddler

Steve A W
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Is it a Sierra or OMC impeller ?
        It has been said that Sierra impellers are thicker than they should be.

Steve A W

Member of the MOB chapter.
        I live in Northwest Indiana

johnyrude200
        Participant

Put grease in the impeller housing when you first install. Normally water lubricates it but this also makes it easier to re-install the new impeller when you slide the housing down over it, and discourage damage to the new pump if pulling over dry.

You only need to put a dab of grease in there not a huge amount. Once it rotates a couple of revolutions it will be spread all over the place.

fisherman6
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

If the impeller was thicker than it should be, it would make the engine difficult to turn over if the impeller housing screws were tightened all the way and easier if they were loosened.

I understood the situation as the screws that hold the lower unit to the midsection being tightened is what is making the engine hard to crank. I don’t see that the impeller would cause this at all. This sounds more like something is bent or being forced out of square that is causing the drive shaft to bind to me. Maybe I’m misunderstanding the situation, though.
            -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

piddler
            Participant

What could be bent? Nothing appears to be. 3 items copper tube, drive shaft, gear shift rod all appear ok. I will try the grease as I did not apply any. I did tighten down impeller housing tightly (3 Screws) Perhaps if impeller is TOO tall it would bind. But loosening lower unit case bolts should not change this Correct?

Thank you for you help

johnyrude200
              Participant

If the gearcase screws being loosened fix the tightness, its not the impeller and vice versa.

fisherman6
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Maybe nothing is bent, just out of square? Is it possible there is something between the lower unit and the midsection at one or two of the screws? Just enough to cause it to tilt a little when it is fully tightened? I don’t know what is causing it, but something must be binding. Did everything work properly prior to changing the impeller?
                  -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

garry-in-michigan
                  Participant

Lifetime Member

Then it could be too much grease on/in the crankshaft spline forming a hydraulic lock, or the wrong (too long) drive shaft. . . 🙄

billw
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

First, pull the lower unit off, leave the pump on and see if you can turn the drive shaft. With grease (I prefer soapy water) in the impeller housing, you should be able to turn the drive shaft with your hand, although there will be some resistance.

Long live American manufacturing!

chris-p
                      Participant

Look up inside the housing inside the crank where the drive shaft fits. Look for traces of debris or the old o ring up in there. Do not put grease on top of the drive shaft when installing, only the splines and o ring.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.