Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson FD14 18hp 1960 Impeller

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    garry-in-michigan
    Participant

Lifetime Member

I use KY jelly – Widely available and won’t harm the rubber impeller . . . 🙂

piddler
      Participant

You guys are great. I appreciate all the help. I did install a new o ring did not grease it. Will try all suggestions when I get back on it hopefully tomorrow.
        Thank You

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Did the engine pull over OK before you did the water pump job? If so, something is out of whack…Did you pull the driveshaft out of the gearcase while you did the pump job?
          Again, not real clear about what is going on…The way I read you post is that tightening the gearcase retaining bolts stiffens up the powerhead, not the impeller hsg screws…
          I would start over again. Like others have said, perhaps the old oring is stuffed up inside the crank, did it come down with the driveshaft when you removed the gearcase? You also indicated that you did not lube the splines, so it would seem that excess grease is not to blame. Perhaps the impeller key is out of place causing the driveshaft to be up too high…
          I like the idea about pulling the gearcase, the removing the impeller and hsg, then reinstalling the gearcase and tightening the retaining bolts to see if the powerhead is still stiff….

piddler
          Participant

Hello to All
            Rookie here rookie mistake. All the suggestions put me to trouble shooting. The key on drive shaft was not in the keyway on the impeller. So misalignment on my part was the issue. Some how it was stuck in brass area of impeller hole. I am basically a clock and watch guy. But I have started to enjoy these old motors. I just love learning at 100 years old LOL.
            Thanks a million for all of your time

PugetSoundBoater
            Participant

I’m sending you a private message. (PM)

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
              Robbie Robertson

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.