Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson J-65 / 70 / 75 Lower Unit Separation

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    need2fish
    Participant

First time trying to remove the L/U . The inside of the tower is jammed with thick grease and the driveshaft barely rotates.

I’ve uncoupled the bypass water pipe, removed the water pump, cross bolt, rear bearing carrier and propshaft with gear. and unscrewed the sleeve that mates the tower (long pipe) with the L/U. (circled in red on the attached photo).

I’m not sure if the drive shaft is removed from the top of the tower before removing the L/U or if the shaft will come out the bottom. I can’t remove the pinion gear (rusted on ?) therefore I’m hoping the L/U & shaft will come out together.

I’ve been pouring PB Blaster around that circled area for 3 weeks It’s not budging. (having trouble uploading the correct pic from my phone. Imagine there is a red circle around the bottom of the tower where it inserts into the L/U.

Any thoughts on what my next step should be ?

• This topic was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by need2fish.
      The Boat House
      Participant

need2fish
        Participant

Thanks for the speedy response.

In order to move the spring band up and expose the pin, I have to drop the driveshaft down into the gearcase, correct ?

The driveshaft won’t go down. I’ve tapped on it (no bearings to break), but it won’t move.

And does removing the pinion gear mean I’ll be able to drop the L/U ?

The Boat House
          Participant

need2fish
            Participant

Gotcha… I think it’s Peterborough-built….. right alongside my OK-55

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.