Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson LS37 coil testing

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    seahuntboater
    Participant

Greetings.

I tried finding this coil info but only come up with the kind that slide over the metal. Can anybody tell me the range of readings I should see so I can determine if this is good or bad?

The coil has 4 solder points . Two on the top and one on each side. There is one on the top with plug wire so I know that is part of secondary. Maybe use test points such as plug(top 1) , top two, etc, Thanks Ralph

Johnson-coil-Johnson-Model-LS37-Serial-number-278004

seahuntboater
      Participant

Forgot to mention. I disconnected all wires but the plug.

Buccaneer
        Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Top two solder joints are both secondaries.
          Get your ohm reading across these two.
          Can’t remember for sure, but thinking around 8K ohms.

Measure across the remaining two connection for
          your primary reading.

Mag-plate-file-photo

Prepare to be boarded!

seahuntboater
          Participant

Bad news. The coil was indeed bad. I even tried taking it apart hoping it was a broken wire at the edge but no luck and let’s be honest those wires are really fine. I just saw the post about taking apart the laminations and fitting an aftermarket new coil. This may be a possibility but I have never swapped to electronic ignition and this might be a good case to learn on. Does anybody know if there is any module that would fit or even if it is possible to take something like a Briggs module and slide it off the laminations and re-install on the johnson laminations like we do with seloc coils?.

thanks

Ralph

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.