Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson magneto

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Steve Martin
    Participant

US Member

Does anyone know of a source for the phenolic spark plug nuts on the bottom of Johnson magnetos?

• This topic was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by Steve Martin.
      squierka39
      Participant

US Member

As far as I know there is no source for them. Possibly someone has some old stock or used ones off a parts motor. They are not available new. I did see a guy on FB make his own from Delrin, but he wasn’t selling them.
        Try a wanted ad on the classified section.

Steve Martin
        Participant

US Member

Thanks. That’s pretty much what I guessed. Probably a swap meet item when we get back to having them.

Mumbles
          Participant

If you have access to a lathe, it’s pretty easy to spin them up out of Acetal (Delrin).

wbeaton
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

The phenolic compression fittings are often broken during removal. You have to be extremely careful. I find a heat gun helps. Anyway, my point is that you will probably have to buy an entire mag plate to get those fittings.

Wayne
              Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

squierka39
              Participant

US Member

I got lucky I guess. These just screwed right out. The rubber parts were stuck to it though.

D7AD23F7-18CC-433F-A8A9-93ACA67881BF

need2fish
                Participant

A couple of long-shot alternatives:
                  – Carve phenolic board with a router and/or a milling maching. Metal tools really work well on the board.
                  – Find someone with a 3-d printer. The printers can produce machinable products.

oldemtr
                  Participant

Maybe something like these little strain reliefs could work – If you could match the threads – These are 1/8″ NPT , I think:

https://www.amazon.com/Connector-Lighting-PRUNLLA-Aluminum-Threaded/dp/B07BJY9822?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_9&th=1

Hmm – That’s weird – Supposed to be a link to Amazon, NOT a photo – Go figure …….

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by oldemtr.
                    crosbyman
                    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

they make special silicone for sealing stove pipes (heat resistant) or special silicone for high voltages conditions on older TV flyback transformers

could you not just had a dab to glue the fittings in place without threading them in ?

or better yet glue the wires in place ..period the Tv silicon is great for insulating 25KV to prevent arcing

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by crosbyman.
                    Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.