Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson Rds-20

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    john8504
    Participant

I have twin 1958 Johnson Rds-20 that I am going to start bringing back to life tomorrow. Does anyone happen to have a service manual for this motor?

It has manual locking tilt (I’m assuming for trailering in the up position. It has been in the up position for over a decade and I cannot get the pin to pull out and release the motor. I’ve tried a propane torch and pliers with no avail. This is with me assuming the pin needs to pulled out and not push in.

Any help would be appreciated.

frankr
      Participant

US Member

Yes, pull it out to release it. But first take the pressure off it by slightly over-tilting the motor.

john8504
        Participant

How do you remedy it being seized? I’ve tried a propane torch and an induction heater to get the rod super hot

outbdnut2
          Participant

US Member

Have you tried penetrating oil? I’ve never seen one of those stuck. After letting penetrating oil soak, try tapping it with a hammer to break it loose. If you apply heat, it’s not the rod you want to heat, it’s the surrounding housing you want to heat to expand.
            Dave

john8504
            Participant

I’ve pul a Teflon lube on there but haven’t gotten it free yet. I pulled handle off and I’m going to try to use a make shift slide hammer to pull it out while someone lifts up in motor

crosbyman
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I have twin 1958 Johnson Rds-20 that I am going to start bringing back to life tomorrow. Does anyone happen to have a service manual for this motor?

It has manual locking tilt (I’m assuming for trailering in the up position. It has been in the up position for over a decade and I cannot get the pin to pull out and release the motor. I’ve tried a propane torch and pliers with no avail. This is with me assuming the pin needs to pulled out and not push in.

Any help would be appreciated.

this site has all the info you need..

http://www.xxxxxxx/lib/johnson/manuals/1922-1964johnson.html replace the xxxxx with boatinfo.no

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

crosbyman
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

http://www.boatinfo.ca/lib/johnson/manuals/1922-1964johnson.html JUST REPLACE the SHORT suffix .ca with letters no

this site auto purges that site link and this is how it can be tricked into not seeing it in its edit profile

click on the stack of books

click on the johnson index then click on the johnson red book

the info is pretty identical to johnson and evinrudes oldies

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by crosbyman.
                  john8504
                  Participant

I tried what you said and it doesn’t work for me.

kirkp
                    Participant
                      kirkp
                      Participant
                      Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.