Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson’s first use of rubber tiller grip

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    skeg
    Participant

Restoring some Model A’s and wondering when Johnson first starting using the rubber grip with their name on it? What are the years that the leather grip was used?

Thanks much for any input.
      Skeg

pm-t2
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

To the best of my knowledge Johnson was using the leather-wrapped wood grip until 1926.

I believe when the A-35 came out in 1927 that they switched to rubber grips. I cannot tell you if the Johnson name was on it or not, but I honestly don’t think that showed up until sometime in the 1930’s.

FWIW I’ve seen many 1926 vintage A-25’s and P-30’s with the leather-wrapped grips, but never anything later.

Hope it helps.

Best, PM T2

skeg
        Participant

Thanks very much !
          Appreciate the input.
          Skeg

squierka39
          Participant

US Member

I don’t know about the 20’s but from 1930 to 1939 my Johnson’s with original grip are all rubber and none have the name script yet. On mine the name seems to start with 1940. Might have been earlier on other models I don’t know, mine are all K model Johnson’s.

twostroke
            Participant

I’ve got a K-35 and an OA-60, both of which I’m 99.99% sure have original grips. The K-35 is plain rubber, the OA-60 has the "Johnson" lettering on it.

Jim

I say "pardon me" a lot. I had a 20H, then raced open mod sleds.

skeg
              Participant

Thanks for the input guys. Much appreciated.

Skeg

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.