Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson Seahorse TN28 Timing off?

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    wedgie
    Participant
      quote mikele86:

quote Jeff Register:

How about the points cam? Can it be flipped & out of time? Check those new coils as the soldered connection for the high voltage wires or does the 28 take the universal coil?

Got new plugs J6C Champions. Set the timing right to gap at .02 when piston is at the top on each cylinder… still nothing. Can’t even get the engine to cough after spraying fluid into both cylinders. It seems to me I’m not getting spark when put back into the cylinder. 😥

Is it possible for the cam to be flipped? I did replace the piston rings, is it possible I could of installed the pistons backwards somehow?

This is starting to drive me nuts 😐

I’ve never had a tn apart, but I know on other OMC motors it is possible to install the pistons backwards. The longer slope of the dome is the exhaust side. I will see if I can find a picture .

elgin2
      Participant

US Member

Plug wires? I had sporatic spark and found the spring inside the sparkplug boot had a bad connection.

retiredoz
        Participant

US Member

My parts manual does show a domed piston, so I think Wedgie is on to something…

The Boat House
          Participant
            quote mikele86:

quote Jeff Register:

How about the points cam? Can it be flipped & out of time? Check those new coils as the soldered connection for the high voltage wires or does the 28 take the universal coil?

Got new plugs J6C Champions. Set the timing right to gap at .02 when piston is at the top on each cylinder… still nothing. Can’t even get the engine to cough after spraying fluid into both cylinders. It seems to me I’m not getting spark when put back into the cylinder. 😥

Is it possible for the cam to be flipped? I did replace the piston rings,
            is it possible I could of installed the pistons backwards somehow?

This is starting to drive me nuts 😐

mikele86
            Participant

pistons are in the correct way

Buccaneer
              Participant

US Member

Wheeeeew… that’s always a relief!
                Been there, done that!

Prepare to be boarded!

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.