Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson TN 26

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    ford981micah
    Participant

I can’t get my TN 26 to run below half throttle. It runs great at full throttle. Just replaced the impeller and the water seems hot coming out of the telltale. Also is there a trick to keeping the new starter rope from pulling out of the sheve.

crosbyman
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

see page 93 -94 in the TN carb adjustments in the johnson bible clean all passages and the little screen

http://162.144.28.33/lib/johnson/manual … .html#/100

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Steve A W
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Here’s a website that might be of some help.
          http://pochefamily.org/outboard/
          Good luck with your motor,

Steve A W

Member of the MOB chapter.
          I live in Northwest Indiana

frankr
          Participant

US Member

The slow speed needle is very sensitive on those. How far to you have it open? 5/8 turn is about right.

ford981micah
            Participant

It is open about a 1/2. Seems to be where it wants to run the best.

ford981micah
              Participant

https://youtu.be/6m6FJnGJU4k

A video of it running after impeller change.

steveh
                Participant

US Member

Have you checked the compression on the cylinders> Low compression will make it difficult to start and it won’t idle very well. It also seems to be running rich to me. Also, running these things in a barrel can make them choke on their own exhaust. You might try setting up a fan. Beyond that, these are well-made reliable motors. My go-to motor is my grandfather’s old TN-26. I love it!

Steve.

ford981micah
                  Participant

I have no problem starting it. I have some sea foam in the fuel and I have been able to get it to idle down 2 notches now. I am assuming dirt somewhere. Can I still get the leather washers from Lloyd?

aquasonic
                    Participant

US Member

Not sure if Lloyd is still selling the primer washers. All good advice on the previous posts. A compression test will give you some valuable information, as these rotary valve motors are very sensitive to low compression. They just won’t idle well.

A complete carburetor cleaning and rebuild as described on the pochefamily website would be a wonderful thing. In the meantime, take the check valve out, carefully remove the screen, and soak both in carb cleaner or acetone. The tiny disc inside must be free, or the motor will not idle. The pochefamily website describes a test to see if the check valve is working properly.

fisherman6
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Last I knew Lloyd was still selling the leather primer washers.
                        -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.