Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson tn28 water stream question

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    scottw
    Participant

I am still looking for the "outlet" near the bottom of the cylinder head where a water stream should be present to verify the water pump is operating. I see all sorts of videos online that show this stream near the low speed adjustment needle but I can’t see an outlet hole for the stream on mine. It appears to be a hole drilled into an elbow but I don’t know the hole diameter. Any thoughts?

fisherman6
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

It should be a drilled hole in an elbow just as you said. It is quite a small hole if I remember correctly. I have a TN-26 in pieces. If I get a chance this evening I can try to get a picture if no one has posted one yet. It seems like the hole is around 0.03" or so.
        -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

frankr
        Participant

US Member

Yes, a small hole drilled in the bottom corner of the copper pipe elbow. I don’t know the diameter off-hand. Probably somewhere between 1/16" and 3/32" as a wild guess.

EDIT: Written at same time as Ben was typing. At least we agree.

steveh
          Participant

US Member

It is a very small hole and is easily covered with paint, grease, etc…

scottw
            Participant

Wow, thanks both of you guys for responding quickly. Hopefully, it is a thick layer of paint that is obstructing the hole. I bought this motor from Craig’s list and the previous owner had recently painted it. If no hole is present, I’ll drill one. The motor right now seems to run well for 5-8 mins at top end then slowly decreases rpm’s until stalling.

2fast4me
              Participant

Scott, is your vent open on the gas cap? Is it plugged with old varnish? Fuel flow will stop with that vent being restricted.
                Jim

2Fast4Me

1946zephyr
                Participant

I wouldn’t drill it out, because it’s probably already present. Just take a small wire and clean it out.

fisherman6
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I would not recommend drilling it out either. Unless someone replaced it with another elbow, the hole is already there. I’d try some lacquer thinner on the elbow until I found the hole then clean it out with a wire or something. If the water pump is working the powerhead will still get cooling water regardless if this tell tale hole is flowing. On the other hand, just because this hole shows water flow does NOT mean the powerhead is seeing the cooling water. I believe on these motors this hole is actually in the system BEFORE the water passes through the powerhead. Someone correct me if I’m wrong on that. Flow at the tell tale shows the pump is pumping but that is really all it tells you in this case.
                    -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

scottw
                    Participant

Gentlemen,
                      Thanks for all of your input. After grinding away the paint….. and using a small wire… Here is the hole that was missing. Another issue has arisen, The motor is leaking with the petcock for the fuel turned off. It appears to be leaking in the junction where the primer pump and the top of the carb meet. The original owner of the engine was kind enough to take a look at it.

Attachments:

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.