Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson TS-15,20, HD-25 manual

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    skier167
    Participant

Hi,
      I recently picked up three motors Johnson TS-15,TS-20, HD-25 from a family friend that had them sitting in their basement for a very long time. I’m looking for a manual or service manual for any of the three to guide me in the right direction for lower unit fluid change and possibly a carb rebuild. I have found the drain screw for the lower unit and have drained the oil but not sure how much to put back in it. I did find one link via searching that had a website with the manuals but they were in adobe flash which can no longer be opened.
      I have searched on here and found that these do not take conventional lower unit oil and I will be picking up some JD corn head grease to fill with.

Buccaneer
      Participant

US Member

Go to this web page for information on the carbs…..
        http://www.pochefamily.org/outboard/CarbService.html

Their main page has some other good information……
        http://www.pochefamily.org/outboard/

The lower units would take grease, not the 80 /90 wt. gear oil.
        Most people are using John Deere Corn Head grease or
        Lubriplate 105, as the original grease hasn’t been
        available for years.

Prepare to be boarded!

aquasonic
        Participant

US Member

I don’t know about the pre-war TS-15, but the post-war TS-20 and the HD-25 can use grease or 90W hypoid oil. A while back, I did some research, and found that some manuals recommended grease, and some recommended 90W. Also, some of the filler plugs were labeled “GREASE”, and some were labeled “OIL” for the exact same model.

The Garlock seals in these motors are very durable, and marine grade 90W has worked well with no leaks.

Buccaneer
          Participant

US Member

Aquasonic, thanks for the information. I didn’t know that some manuals suggested hypoid for
            these models. Of course, there’s not many 70 year old prop shafts that aren’t grooved
            or pitted, then all bets are off if the hypoid will stay in the gear case.

Prepare to be boarded!

The Boat House
            Participant

Mumbles
              Participant

When not knowing for sure and if the shafts have lip seals on them, it can be assumed oil is the preferred lube. Otherwise John Deere Cornhead grease can be used, especially in non shift motors with bushings on the shafts.

It can get a bit confusing as I’ve seen some gearcases marked ‘grease’ on the outside when I know they require oil. This might be because they were using old dyes while casting the cases and never updated them or referred to the heavy gear oil as grease.

crosbyman
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

best to sway on the side of caution… go grease for the next 50 years

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Mumbles
                  Participant

best to sway on the side of caution… go grease for the next 50 years

Except in some late 40’s Evinrudes, which had a ball bearing on the drive shaft and need oil to lubricate it!

skier167
                    Participant

Go to this web page for information on the carbs…..
                      http://www.pochefamily.org/outboard/CarbService.html

Their main page has some other good information……
                      http://www.pochefamily.org/outboard/

The lower units would take grease, not the 80 /90 wt. gear oil.
                      Most people are using John Deere Corn Head grease or
                      Lubriplate 105, as the original grease hasn’t been
                      available for years.

Thank you for these links! The carb had gas in it from who knows when so it looks like it might be best to pull the carb off and clean and inspect it. I picked up some corn head greats today from my local JD dealer. I drained the old grease out last night and it was some chunky soup. I did end up pulling the lower unit to drain it all out since it kept clogging the drain hole.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.