Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson TS20 Throttle Linkage

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Rusted Junk
    Participant

Hi,
      The throttle linkage on one of my TS20 motors has broken at the hole below the upper spring and linkage mount. I appears to be made of brass, has anyone tried soldering or brazing these and redrilling them, or is it best to try and make a new linkage.
      Thanks,
      Steve

Rusted Junk
      Participant

I decided to try and reproduce the throttle linkage, now just to install it on the TS20, I used 1/8 brass rod and drilled 1/16 holes for the spring and butterfly,, that was a fun process. We’ll see how it works out.
        Rusted Junk Garage.

8DC1A37F-5B8A-4BE7-86EE-4915107AAB2B

Buccaneer
        Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Good Job, it should work for another 75 years!

Prepare to be boarded!

Rusted Junk
          Participant

Thanks Buccaneer, it is all back together, carb and fuel tank cleaned, points gapped, plugs clean and gapped, new impeller and lower unit greased, we’ll put both of them in the tank tomorrow and test on them a little.
            Rusted Junk Garage.

41848F23-C3FE-4CCE-B9C4-A85ED6B87306

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Rusted Junk.
            • This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Rusted Junk. Reason: Spelling
            • This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Mumbles.
            Buccaneer
            Participant

Just curious, what prayer did you say to be able to drill those holes in
              that 1/8″ rod so nicely? I have enough trouble drilling holes in round
              stock much bigger!

Prepare to be boarded!

aquasonic
              Participant

Those linkage rods usually get bent or broken from forcing the ignition/throttle advance lever when the carburetor linkage gets stiff. If they’re not broken to start with, an attempt to straighten them may result in a break at the drilled location.

Nice job on the replacement linkage!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by aquasonic.
                Rusted Junk
                Participant

Thanks, the throttle works real nice now.👍

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Rusted Junk. Reason: Spelling
                  Rusted Junk
                  Participant

I made a drill guide using a 2 inch piece of the 1/8 brass rod, Put it in my small lathe and drilled thru the center, then cut it at 1/2 inch and used it as a guide in the machine vise on my drill press, placing the linkage rod horizontal and the guide vertical and squaring them up. Drill thru center on every hole.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Mumbles.
                    Mumbles
                    Participant

You’re lucky you could put a nice bend in that 1/8″ rod. I buy it in 8′ lengths and the last stuff I bought was hard and brittle and would break while trying to get a sharp bend in it. My metal supplier said they sourced it from India so that might explain it as there are lots of backyard smelters over there with no quality control while melting down and blending metals from recycled deep sea freighters. Maybe a short length from a hobby store would bend easier.

Rusted Junk
                      Participant

I worked selling Welding Supplies and Steel the last 5 years before I retired, the overseas stuff has quality issues, but a lot of it comes from them, we would sell steel to the Bremerton Navel Shipyard and it would have to be USA made steel with certification.This metal I used was from Alaskan Copper And Brass so the quality was pretty good, although it would be only good for two bends before braking off I am sure, measure 5 times and bend once , 🤪

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.