Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson twist grip tension problem

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    drbenson-live-com
    Participant

I have a QD-15 10 hp Johnson in nice shape. However, I’m having a problem with the twist throttle. The spring that connects to the gear that turns when the handle is twisted exerts enough torque that the twist grip won’t stay put in any position I put it in. Like starting the motor, the twist grip rotates off the START position when I pull the starting cord and as a result the motor won’t start easily. Perhaps I put the spring on wrong but it looks like there’s only one way the spring attaches. Any suggestion or pictures would be appreciated. Thanks.

Steve D
      Participant

Do you also have the friction block? #53 in diagram – part 303282

spring-and-friction-block

Tinman
        Participant

US Member

Could the coils be rubbing the flywheel slightly making the armature plate turn?

David Bartlett
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I like Steve’s answer.

David Bartlett
            Pine Tree Boating Club Chapter

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"

frankr
            Participant

US Member

I like both. The friction plug is missing, or the coils are dragging. Both situations are very common.

garry-in-michigan
              Participant

Lifetime Member

One of the instructions that came with the remote controls said to remove the friction block to lessen the load on the controls cables. The controls had enough friction to hold the speed control in place. This makes wandering speed a common problem for those who buy the motor without the controls.

olcah
                Participant

US Member

Yes, check to see if you have parts 53 and 52 installed.

drbenson-live-com
                  Participant

Parts 52 and 53 are intact. The grease down in the bottom of the grip was pretty janky so I cleaned all parts in gasoline. After I reassembled, the grip seemed better and didn’t slip into SLOW when I pulled the starter rope. I checked the sinc between the throttle and cam and it seemed good; the follower contacted the cam just as the throttle began to open. It’s Christmas so it’s time to go to the neighbors for food and drink. Thanks for the advice. I’ll report after I get the time to put the motor in the tank and start it up. Merry Christmas.

Steve D
                    Participant

Just as the throttle begins to open the index mark on the cam should line up with the center of the follower.

synchronization-10-15-18

donsmarine
                      Participant

i add 1 or more washers under the spring. be aware of the handle grip screw not aligning with the throttle shaft

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.