Home Forum Ask A Member JW 14 compression numbers?

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    fleetwin
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Steve, sorry about the lightwin confusion… Same engine, except for the covers, tank, and the sync process… You mention that the carb starts to open when the throttle is positioned at “start” which sounds “close enough”. I would have to go back and find the actual pick up point, but that sounds right.
      How is it that you have determined that top cylinder seems weak, pulling plug wires?
      Be sure to soak those cylinders with engine tuner when you pull the head, perhaps the rings are little stuck… Be careful pulling that intake, those little gaskets are not available new, but they can still be found. Does it look like the intake has been off before. It is not uncommon to get the two different gaskets mixed up… Installing the outer gasket on the powerhead side of the reed plate creates an internal air leak between the two crankcases…

lindy46
      Participant

US Member

There is a “mark” on the underside of the gas tank mounting ring – sort of a depression. When the throttle lever lines up with the mark, the carb butterfly should just start to open. Adjust the cam to make it so.

20mercman
        Participant

US Member

Thanks, I will check it out.

Steve

Mumbles
          Participant

The Johnson JW’s are synced with the speed control lever between the two dots on the gas tank ring. The Evinrude Lightwins are done by viewing from the bottom.

DSC00090

DSC00093

2 users thanked author for this post.
            20mercman
            Participant

US Member

The Johnson JW’s are synced with the speed control lever between the two dots on the gas tank ring. The Evinrude Lightwins are done by viewing from the bottom.

DSC00090

DSC00093

Thanks! Great photos!

I spent the day digging dirt, chopping roots, building a shed platform, replacing my son’s boat trailer bearings, and other work. I have to take a break and get back to my motors…..This darn retirement, I don’t have any time…..

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by 20mercman.
            Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.