Home Forum Ask A Member JW series motors parts interchange

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    PugetSoundBoater
    Participant

I have 3 of these now ,just picked up a JW-10 to go alongside a JW-11 and a 1959 JW. so i plan to make a Frankenstein out of these.
      As for the parts, especially the tanks and cowls, do they swap ? They sure look the same.
      Best deals i have gotten on motors yet,2 were free from separate people, todays JW-10 was $25.
      Thanks, Jim PSB

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
      Robbie Robertson

fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I think most of these parts will interchange with the exception of the rewind starter. Changes were made to the rewind in 1956, that required a different flywheel…
        I am assuming you are working on Johnson models only "JW". Needless to say, the Evinrude tanks and brackets are different…

frankr
        Participant

US Member

Can’t say for Johnsons, but I did similar with early Evinrudes. I’d say it is safe to say they are swappable if you swap enough parts. The big difference was the way the tank was mounted to the support ring. Early ones had long bolts going all the way down through the recoil starter, through the tank, into the support ring. Later changed to shorter bolts coming up from below the support ring into the tank and separate short screws for the recoil.

EDIT: I just read fleetwins reply. Yeah, the recoil was changed. I’d guess it will still fit the tank, but just guessing.

dan-in-tn
          Participant

US Member

I have a bunch of JW series motors as well as Light Twins. The early JW-10,11 laid down on their face with the support ears on the front of the tank support ring. Not sure when that changed to the rear, but it was early. Not saying it won’t work, but it is something to consider?
            I too have consider building a "Custom" motor. Those little motors were built for so long they just lend themselves to messing around with.

Dan in TN

Mumbles
            Participant

It seems to me there is a difference in the gears to with early years being finer or coarser cut. Can’t say for sure. I’m pretty sure the early ones used a different prop shaft seal to than later ones. It could have been a carryover from the HD or TN series of motors.

PugetSoundBoater
              Participant

Thanks for the info guys . Dan’s comment about messing with them is what i want to do also.Not much to lose. I have plenty of parts on the 3 motors plus some used parts i have from another source.

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
                Robbie Robertson

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.