Home Forum Ask A Member k-35,40 mag set up

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    baron0418
    Participant

US Member

What is the proper way to set points on a opposed K-35,K40? I have the manual but it is difficult to set it up like it says in the book. Is there a trick I am unaware of? Or is it just a pain to do no matter what. I can get one or the other of the things it says but not both at the same time. Brian

Tom
      Participant

US Member

IIRC, there is a tick mark stamped into the bottom of the flywheel rim, and a match mark on the mag advance lever. The points should just be opening when the marks are lined up. To do this, you may have to move the points on the mag plate, then adjust the gap.

Sorry, I don’t have a diagram or photo.

Tom

baron0418
        Participant

US Member

Sadly what the book says is the problem . I have a K-35 and a K-40 . on the K-35 the tick marks line up perfectly. so I set the points at .020, however as the flywheel rotates the points continue to open. That isn’t right is it? On the K-40 the tick marks are off about 3/4 of an inch. but they only open to .020 ???? I can get one or the other I cannot get both. Had to walk away a few times. Very frustrating. Brian

baron0418
          Participant

US Member

I think I figured out how to do it. align the timing marks. tighten the points down. Now leave that alone! NOW thread the movable contact in or out to get your point setting. It does not say that in the book. But seems to work. MUCH easier too.I don’t know how the book expects you to align the tick marks THEN shift the points around to get .020 WITHOUT losing your previous setting Brian

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.