Home Forum Ask A Member KG4 & KG7 8 reed assembly changed to more reeds?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    mikesea
    Participant

Hi Folk’s,
      I have been reading so much on K series engines, my eyes hurt every night but worth the time. Learning Learning very kool.
      I am wondering if anyone has done the swap to more than 8 reeds? If they did what the results were? Thinking that the more reeds would help keep the air speed up through each reed. Plus they would not have to open so far. Thinking,I get in trouble but that is me not happy with what everyone else has because you can only make the same power. I am not racing but would like to see if I can improve on the basic great little engines.
      I would like to talk with the guys that know what does not work. They could same me spinning my wheels or Wheel in our case. PM me if you like and we can exchange phone numbers and I will call you so your phone bill does not go up.
      Always thanks
      Mike

mercuryman
      Participant

Where would you mount more reeds. The reed cage looks full.

20mercman
        Participant

US Member

On a current project motor I am building, (I call it a KS-7….Kevin and Steve) This has what was called the "Barn Door" crankcase. This case has a significantly larger carburetor opening than the standard Mk-25 style case. This case is very much the same case as the Mk-20H case. I moved the stud location on the carburetor flange to be able to mount a larger carburetor that matches the opening. I also have installed a Mk-28 reed cage that is an 8 reed cage, but has larger reed openings than the standard KG-7 through Mk-25 cage. I will have to pin the reed block as the lock bolt is in a slightly different position, but the Mk-28 cage opening matches up to the barn door case perfectly. I am going to run flat top pistons in it, and it has had the ports squared off. We will see how this thing runs, I am doing several other modifications to it that I think folks will like. Hopefully I will have it together for our club November meet.

Steve

mikesea
          Participant

Great Steve thanks and good luck on this project.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.