Home Forum Ask A Member KG4 & KG7 Water pump removal questions?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    mikesea
    Participant

Hi Folk’s,

Today is KG4 & KG7 Water pump question day. I have all the manuals the info I need is not in print that I can find. I know it is a cartridge and you use a puller threaded into the holes in the pump. #1 What thread size are the holes I come up with 8-32 but someone must have been in there as the threads are not good. #2 Is it OK to drill all the way through the cartridge if need be to remove? #3 I am thinking of using my air Heat gun on the outside housing before I try pulling. #4 Slide hammer or regular puller? Water pump prop side cover unscrewed easily and threads are perfect.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

jw-in-dixie
      Participant

After removing the cover plate (Left-hand threads, turn CW to remove) and the pump impeller, clamp the prop shaft between pieces of wood in a hefty vise, then holding a block of wood against the casting strike with a heavy hammer until the cartridge and shaft come out. That is the normal procedure and it does work. It’s in the book, BTW.

mikesea
        Participant

Thanks JW
          I must have missed it. I try to read all I have before posting a question again thank you very much. Big Hammers need to buy some LOL wood in stock.
          Mike

The Boat House
          Participant

I got one out with a 2 bolt puller
            and a piece of flat stock. Mine
            was almost packed full but I
            never understood what that
            stuff was,

mikesea
            Participant

Thanks Tubs,
              Mike

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.