Home Forum Ask A Member KG7 gear case

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    John Schubert
    Participant

Lifetime Member

Does anyone know the manufacturer part numbers for the
      bearings & seals for the KG7 gear case not quickie?
      jschubert19j@gmail.com

Thanks,
      John

mikesea
      Participant
        green-thumbs
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I "believe" the Drive Shaft has Fafnir 3202 or 202K ball and Torrington roller B 1112
          Prop shaft has Fafnir 205K ball and Torrington roller B 108
          (possibly a longer B 1010?)
          The Torrington bearings in nose of case I believe are extra precision bearings. The Torrington drive shaft bearing seems to be standard precision.

Torrington drawn case needle or roller bearings are identified by diameter of shaft and
          length of bearing in 16ths of an inch. Thus B 1112 is for an 11/16" shaft and is 12/16" long.
          B means an open end bearing.
          Extra Precision of Ground (case) bearings are slightly smaller in outside case diameter than same bearinf of standard precis. Attempts to force a standard bearing into an
          application intended for a precision bearing will crush bearing or worse.
          Torrington precision bearing may be marked "GB" instead of "B" or may only have an "X"
          after identification number. The "X" indicates an extra feature which may or may not
          mean extra precision.

KE4, Mark7,KF7,KF7,KG7 and KG4 gear cases use B 1112 drive shaft bearings.

Torrington bearings if they are shinny and roll easily should be left along as removal and installing are best done with a Mercury Service Tool. The bearing in "nose" of case can sometimes be sticky. I have had some luck using modeling clay instead of the usual heavy grease. Unless they are damaged or rusty leave them be to avoid damage in removal or installing.

Seals are seldom marked ,but, can easily be identified by diameter of shaft, diameter of
          pocket seal is in and height of seal. Sometimes a different seal height is helpful to place
          lip of seal on an undamaged part of shaft. Bear in mind that standard seals are usually in
          stock and reasonable while non standard seals are often not in stock items and may be
          much more expensive. Old seals seem to have had leather element in metal case. Modern seals seem to be all synthetic element in metal case.

Louis
          Kiekhaefer Mercury Part Numbering is not same as outside vendors seal, bearing or magneto
          part numbers. In some cases Mercury Parts Manual will identify magneto maker and model
          Not so for seal or bearing.

gofastgramps
          Participant

US Member

I wasn’t sure if the KG7 used B or GB so today I drove the drive shaft bearings out of two KG7 cases and they were B-1112

green-thumbs
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have taken note of your findings and I have edited my comments.
              I also pushed the Torrington out of case and is is marked B 1112 with neither G nor X
              however it did have a small v and n stanped into case. I have not a clue what if anything that means..
              Louis

Bearing and seal questions of this sort seem to come up on recurring basis.

mikesea
              Participant

Great work guy’s,
                I understand more and more about these little jewels KG4’s & KG7’s. Thank you for sharing your findings. Glad to be aboard.
                To install bearings does anyone heat the case? Or chill the bearings? Any pictures of tooling as all the printed material I have bought so far does not show tooling or service procedure.
                Thanks
                Mike

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.