Home Forum Ask A Member KG7 throttle cable

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    mercuryman
    Participant

How do you connect a throttle cable the KG7 carburetor . I want to mount a motorcycle throttle grip on steering handle .

johng
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

On the Venturi Shaft that comes out the bottom of the Carb. there is a spring. Remove the spring, measure the diameter of the shaft and find a Lawnmower shop or Motorcycle shop. They should have some linkage adaptors that will fit on the carb shaft. You will have to make a bracket to hold the cable so you can adjust the carb for full opening. You might do better to have the Carb with you when you go looking for a linkage piece. Or Call Steve Roskowski in Indiana. ( In the members Directory ) He makes Dead Man Throttles for race boats and probably has what you need for the Carb. jr

John Schubert
        Participant

Lifetime Member

Contact Frank Erion, in the directory, he has the throttle pieces that you need. They are reproduction Mercury factory style. One piece fits in the bottom of the throttle shaft & the other, an "L" bracket attachews to the port side tank mount with holder for the outside bowden cable.

John

A Hoskins
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I’ve seen cables connected to the butterfly shaft on the bottom and on the top. Either way you’d probably like a return spring and either way you’d probably like a way to shut it down. Maybe with a kill switch or a full butterfly like racers use. You still have no control over the spark advance. Perhaps another idea is to cable-control the spark advance lever (like normal hand operation) with a motorcycle clutch or brake lever and a serious return spring. This would be like the dead-mans handle on a KF/KG 9 for instance.

"Fox News" isn't.

mercuryman
            Participant

Thanks, all I want is throttle control, the hand grip throttle I am buying has kill switch.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Throttle-Cable- … MEBIDX%3AI

A Hoskins
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Gotcha. Former (I think) AOMC member Rick Montoya did business as RPM marine in Seattle. He was dealing Yamato motors and some Mercury race hardware like the pieces you are looking for. In addition, check out Brown Tool and Machine http://www.btmco.com/index.html

"Fox News" isn't.

The Boat House
                Participant

I have the kit to hook up the cable to the
                  throttle plate. Its new/never been used. If
                  you would be interested send me a PM.

squierka39
                  Participant

US Member

The above set being offered is what you want. I have the same setup on my KF-7 on a mini max and it works perfectly.

rayar3
                    Participant

Bringing back and old post, but I’m looking for a kit like shown above. Thanks.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.