Home Forum Ask A Member Lanyard kill switch for 1969 25hp Johnson

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    vintin
    Participant

I’ve got the push button kill switch on my 1969 25hp Johnson and want to switch it to a lanyard kill set up for safety.

This is a non electric start motor and there is no wiring harness. It is set up for remote steer and throttle but I’m sitting only two feet from the motor cowling.

Is there a lanyard kill switch system that will fit right in the spot on the cowling that the push button kill is located at present?

That sure would make it an easy change.

Thanks,

Dan N.

1950 Feather Craft Fire Fly

Attachments:

frankr
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Sierra Marine MP40950, MP40960, and MP40970-1 are three possibilities. Sorry, I can’t vouch for fitment.

amuller
        Participant

I have a ’69 25 hp with a bad kill switch in the shop, so I went and pulled it.

It’s hard to get to the 3/4" mounting nut without taking the carb loose, but having done that I see that the switch body can probably be rotated from the front.

(Sorry for the bad pics.)

The lanyard switch was got from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DH … UTF8&psc=1

The original has a 5/8" shank and the new one a 9/16" shank, but I doubt that is a problem.

Otherwise, just need to cut the leads and crimp on female spade terminals.

vintin
          Participant

Thanks a lot guys!

olcah
            Participant

What a sweet boat! Tell us about it – make, year, speed?

olcah
              Participant

Sorry for missing the obvious – 1950 Feather Craft Fire Fly. Still like to hear about speed, handling, history.

vintin
                Participant
                  quote OLCAH:

Sorry for missing the obvious – 1950 Feather Craft Fire Fly. Still like to hear about speed, handling, history.

Getting about 30mph with the 25hp. Can do better than that though and I’m working on it.

Handling: Like riding a unicycle. Bow rides high until up on plane than it slaps down and speed triples! Don’t want to hit big wakes on plane if possible and at the same time if you slow down the transom feels like it’s going under. It’s only 10′ 2" and 138lbs.

It’s a lot of fun but there is definitely a learning curve involved.

I just had it out on Lake Lanier today and discovered the 9 x 10.5 pitch prop I was trying out was already spun. Came back in about 3 miles sitting up on the console with the steering wheel behind me making about 3mph. Not many big wakes today thankfully.

A chase boat is always a good Idea but I go out without one most of the time.

I’ve also got a 1953 Flyer and am half owner in a 1952 Flash. Both Feather Craft.

olcah
                  Participant

10.2 ft long, 25 HP and rear steering, That surely makes for a lively rig. Thanks for the interesting info, enjoy and please fly with care! I envy your long boating season.

wetwillie
                    Participant

You couldn’t have started this thread at a better time, Dan. I am wanting to do the same thing with the ’58 Evinrude Fastwin 18hp on my ’49 Feather Craft Runabout. 2′ longer than your Firefly but only 2 lbs heavier. Should be a lot of fun after I’ve completed the learning curve, and installed a kill switch. 😉

vintin
                      Participant

I ordered it today!

Thanks.

quote amuller:

I have a ’69 25 hp with a bad kill switch in the shop, so I went and pulled it.

It’s hard to get to the 3/4″ mounting nut without taking the carb loose, but having done that I see that the switch body can probably be rotated from the front.

(Sorry for the bad pics.)

The lanyard switch was got from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DH … UTF8&psc=1

The original has a 5/8″ shank and the new one a 9/16″ shank, but I doubt that is a problem.

Otherwise, just need to cut the leads and crimp on female spade terminals.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.