Home Forum Ask A Member lettering old outboards

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    crosbyman
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I got me a nice 1959 5.5 hp Golden Jubile 90psi each cyl.. good gear case, no water etc… changed the coils etc…

the cowl was brush painted years ago blue and white over the gold colored sides 🙁

I am planning to sand out the nicks, prep it and repaint the cowl

I would like to add some Evinrude lettering but decals are 70$ US + shipping !!!! I like oldies but I dont rebuild them to no end…. so $100 for decals is a bit much

are there alternatives you guys use to do a half… decent job with cheaper decal sources or stick on lettering ?? otherwise this oldy will be white blue and spray gold on the sides … kind of bland I guess

thanks

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

fisherman6
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

It depends on how much of a stickler you want to be for originality. I like them original and restored to original specs. It is difficult for me to stray from this in most cases, BUT……. I fully understand and agree with you that spending 100 bucks on decals is a lot to put into a motor you are not trying to make a showpiece out of. That is hard for me to swallow also. That is why most of mine remain in their original condition. If I buy it and someone else has done a less than stellar job on the finish, then I may decide to do something a little different with it. There is a seller on EBay (shabestari) from Vista, CA that sells vinyl decals that look OK and fairly closely replicate factory decals. His prices are very reasonable and you may find something that works for you from what he has for sale.
        -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

auldscott
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Taking nothing away from the folks who provide full original-appearing decal sets, I can attest to Dave Shabestari’s quality, service, and prices. I have even photographed logos and he has made excellent copies from the photos.

crosbyman
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

looks like he does not have 5.5hp decals for 1959…. prices look great I’ll order something that fits the era and style close enough

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.