Home Forum Ask A Member Live from Tomahawk, WI!

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    RICHARD A. WHITE
    Participant

Lifetime Member
      quote Jerry Ahrens:

quote Richard A. White:

A Giant twin???? in Fort Wayne?

Wish I would have known….LOL

I have no issues grabbing motors somewhat local to me… delivery is always an option, cya tomorrow afternoon, just hold the rain off until I get my camper set up…

It looks like the rain will be mostly after noon. Thursday looks great, at least for now. The wind is very light to calm today. The lake is beautiful! I hope to get in a lot of running all week.

We should be there after 3 or so…figures
      …LOL

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
      classicomctools@gmail.com

20mercman
      Participant

US Member

Well we have learned a little more this morning. The tires were not the problem (although I did order & intend for them to be 6 ply rated)! Would not have made any difference. The trailer has an alignment issue. The toe is out bad (like I walk) & the chamber is off too! The other tire was just about gone after we saw it in the light this morning. Got new tires on the way, but that’s not going to fix the problem. Still working out a solution on that.

I have had great luck with Fleet Farm stores. https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/59-in- … 1928|11994

They usually have a great selection, and there is one in Wausau. For our trailer that we have on the CT-14, it too was bent, and I built a new axle with replacement spindles and some schedule 80 black pipe. It worked great, but this was at home, and not on the road. Best option may be to replace the axle and enjoy your trip.
        Steve

dan-in-tn
        Participant

US Member

Guys, I really appreciate all your comments & thoughts. This trailer doesn’t have an axle. It is custom built, but was built from a Metzger Sportsman G91 that was under the boat when I got it. Of course it is now completely change, but the suspension remained basically the same. Sending a few pics so you get the idea. These were during construction. The idea was to have a soft ride for the boat. It rides beautiful. Something is just out of whack on the alignment of the tires? We are not seeing any adjustment factor. I have a spring man when I get home or it may get a regular torsion axle setup put under it. Thanks again!

rjoynt
          Participant

US Member

Gee, it looks similar to my 1946 Elgin!!!

Attachments:

20mercman
            Participant

US Member
              quote Dan in TN:

Guys, I really appreciate all your comments & thoughts. This trailer doesn’t have an axle. It is custom built, but was built from a Metzger Sportsman G91 that was under the boat when I got it. Of course it is now completely change, but the suspension remained basically the same. Sending a few pics so you get the idea. These were during construction. The idea was to have a soft ride for the boat. It rides beautiful. Something is just out of whack on the alignment of the tires? We are not seeing any adjustment factor. I have a spring man when I get home or it may get a regular torsion axle setup put under it. Thanks again!

With workmanship like this, I don’t think you need any advice, this is really a beautiful rig! That said, I wonder if you couldn’t work out some type of cam on the spindle much like a control arm uses to adjust the toe. I can’t fully see how the spindle mounts, but hopefully I can see it tomorrow. I hope to be able to head up to Tomahawk in the morning. (I will not be camping on site like I usually do, life is getting in the way again! :roll:) I plan to be there Thursday mid-day and leave Friday late afternoon as I have to work on Saturday.

Steve

amuller
              Participant

Hmmmm. Dan, I don’t see what locates that trailing arm laterally. I see a vertical link that appears to be connected to a bellcrank. Looks sort of like an old fashioned friction damper (shock absorber). But I don’t see that that link would stop the arm from moving sideways. So I suspect that the tread was scrubbed off the tires as they were running with a lot of toe-in or toe-out. (If the trailer wasn’t noticeably moving sideways, one could suspect similar geometry on both sides…) The camber you can check by putting a level up against the tire and using a little trig to calculate the triangle. There are homebrew ways of measuring toe, but they may not tell what it’s doing on the road. If you know a good racing suspension person it might make sense to have her take a look at it.

fifty20ne
                Participant

US Member

These look nice and you may be able to retrofit to your trailer.

http://timbren.com/axle-less/

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Suspen … WS545.html

outboardnut
                  Participant

US Member

I guess if push came to shove
                    You can rent a trailer and put the trailer/boat on to bring home.

bobw
                    Participant

US Member

Great looking trailer. I’m sure you’ll be able to come up with the appropriate fix. Whatever you do, hopefully you can do better than this guy’s attempt.

Attachments:

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
                      1954 Johnson CD-11
                      1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                      1958 Johnson QD-19
                      1958 Johnson FD-12
                      1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
                      "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

dan-in-tn
                      Participant

US Member

Ran the boat for the first time yesterday. Everything worked fine. Sure was happy for things to turn around in my favor. We had to build a pressure tank & of course dial in the carburetor after a full rebuild, but she fired up after not being run since 1965. After a little limbering up the boat ran 5200 RPM on the reed tach. Guess we will have to put that 12" prop on after all. (That was just one person in the boat.) The 12" should be just about right with two people & a little gear.
                        It is amazing how much it changes your spirits & atitude to just get out on the water & run your boat! I think we will run some more today & tomorrow.

Dan in TN/WI

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 32 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.